Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc replacement

anniemikaanniemik Posts: 1
edited 02/04/2015 - 8:41 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Short - long:
I have suffered from years of neck and back pain. Over the last few years the neck pain has severely worsened. After multiple neck injections they finally performed a discograph and found the pain is generating from C3-C4. I am naturally fused at C2-C3 and have degeneration in all levels of my cervical spine, not to mention I also have severe stenosis. I recently decided to have disc replacement surgery. My reasoning for such was due to my young age of 35 and the other levels are already degenerating and a fusion would only increase that degeneration. The insurance company denied the disc replacement but said I could have the fusion. The denial was based on their criteria that I must have arm pain and numbness. That is not my primary issue but rather severe pain in the cervical area almost like a vice is grippping my spine. All that said, has anyone had the disc replacement? Am I correct in my reasoning to choose disc replcacement over the fusion? The insurance companies denial has led me to second guess a decision I felt quite certain about. Please help

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I'm not sure about the C-spine, but I had the same thoughts when I had an Artificial Disk Replacement in my lumbar at L5S1. I thought it would protect my other disks. Unfortunately, I recently had to have the 3 disks above fused.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • Although lumbar, I had an ADR at L3/4, plus a 2 level 360 fusion with cages and instrumentation at L4/5, L5/S1. That was 5 weeks ago. We did that in place of a 3 level fusion for the exact reason you are describing, the ADR allows for some movement above the fusion and hopefully is less likely to degenerate the level above. I feel really great. I had some leg pain starting day 10, but after starting PT it has decreased significantly and I am beginning to think will go away completely. I did have to fight insurance (United healthcare), as they do not cover ADR, but we pay for a supplemental "special care" $2/month:) that pays for stuff like that. Thank goodness as the hospital bill alone was $155,000- I have not even received the surgeon, anesthesia, or vascular surgeon bills yet.:(. Anyways from what I understand insurance companies are far more likely to pay for cervical ADR, so you might appeal, also ask your doc to do a peer-to-peer review. This helps.
    I am 37, so for me a 3 level fusion was just a bad idea....
    Hope that helps! Brandy