Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9 Months Post -Discectomy - Can I Offer You Some Hope?

Can I give you some hope? I posted a message on here in early summer last year, a couple of months after my double discectomy L5/S1. I remarked about how much pain I was in, and that my sciatica leg had got worse since the operation and how badly I regretted having surgery, and the ensuing piriformis syndrome that came about out of nowhere.
I told you how I sometimes got up and had to crawl to the loo on my knees as my back and legs would not hold me upright due to pain.
At that point I was in so much continual pain that I considered taking an overdose. Life really felt not worth living. At 54 years old I could barely make it round a supermarket (with my stick) without intense pain due to sciatica. The back pain was non-existent but the leg pain more than made up for that.
Well, I am now nine months on from surgery and almost recovered. The sciatica leg has completely gone but it took me to about month 8 for this to happen. I rarely get numbness in my lower leg now but up to month 8 it was often like a dead weight for much of the time I was standing up. My only relief in the eight months following surgery was when I was sitting or laying down.
I can now walk quite a few miles – no pain. When I get up in the morning – no piriformis muscle spasms, and perhaps most significant to me is the complete relief of sciatica.
I am not naïve enough to think that this may not return at some point, but the sheer joy I now have in being able to shop, walk, lift my grandchildren and live life in general feels amazing.
I wanted to share this with the good folk on this site, as I do believe that you can read too much into the what the internet has to say about discectomy recovery, which would have us all believe that by week six we are back at work and by month three we are fully recovered and doing sport like a young’un.
If this brings you some hope that life WILL hopefully return to normal then I have achieved what I set out to do. It took me a full nine months of sheer hell, but for now, I’m doing fine.
Good luck to you all.

• I really needed to read this today. I am Post Op day 3. (Surgery this monday). I was doing great on the day of surgery and the day after but these last two days have been super difficult. My home was not set up well for this, and so it's been tough. A lot of people who had this surgery discussed it lightly as if I would be "back to normal in a few days" So I was kind of in shock today when I thought about trying to get dressed and take a shower...I need to go back to work in about 10 days now, so I do hope I show some more improvement!