Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

foot drop?

littleonellittleone Posts: 77
edited 02/05/2015 - 8:08 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi again. not sure where to post this -thought there may be best, as I'm awaiting surgery.

symptoms are getting worse for me, and about two weeks ago I started having problems with my right lower leg and foot. leg from the knee down feels as if I have icy hot coursing through my veins. it's horrific. pain meds don't do a thing to touch it. after this awful feeling comes a complete numbness of my foot. and a dragging of it when walking.

I have an appointment to see the surgeon tomorrow. my pcp caught wind of this new symptom, and decided she did not want me waiting until 3/13; so they scheduled me.

my question is for those who've had foot drop. this comes and goes right now. my major concern is ... is this something that will most likely become permanent?

I don't know enough about all of this. I have searched the forums to read about foot drop. what I haven't been able to find is if it's an intermittent problem to start, for those who've experienced it.

thanks for advice or similar experiences in advance :)
advertisement

Comments

• I had foot drop. Was in surgery a week after it developed. I regained full use of the foot within about 3+ months post micro-d.
  • was your foot drop constant? or did it come and go?
    I have foot drop. and they are making me wait 5-6 weeks for surgery.
  • littleone said:
    was your foot drop constant? or did it come and go?
    I have foot drop. and they are making me wait 5-6 weeks for surgery.
    It was definitely constant. It started 30 minutes after I stupidly let a chiropractor do an adjustment on me (I was desperate and in agonizing pain...I'll never let a chiro near me ever again).
  • I had a complete foot drop. This is an emergency in every sense of the word. I was fobbed off to a surgeon who went on vacation so i wasn't operated on unit 21 days after a fight to get seen to. Foot drop is sketchy in who recovers to what degree. I have 6 months of Internet research on it. There's not alot of support out there. Except here. The less time your nerve is impinged the better. If I knew I would have taken an ambulance to hospital. If I knew and wasn't in so much pain and exhausted I would have fought harder that first week. I'm sorry. Get back in and don't wait for anyone.

Feel free to Pm me... I feel for you.
  • littleone said:
    hi again. not sure where to post this -thought there may be best, as I'm awaiting surgery.

symptoms are getting worse for me, and about two weeks ago I started having problems with my right lower leg and foot. leg from the knee down feels as if I have icy hot coursing through my veins. it's horrific. pain meds don't do a thing to touch it. after this awful feeling comes a complete numbness of my foot. and a dragging of it when walking.

I have an appointment to see the surgeon tomorrow. my pcp caught wind of this new symptom, and decided she did not want me waiting until 3/13; so they scheduled me.

my question is for those who've had foot drop. this comes and goes right now. my major concern is ... is this something that will most likely become permanent?

I don't know enough about all of this. I have searched the forums to read about foot drop. what I haven't been able to find is if it's an intermittent problem to start, for those who've experienced it.

thanks for advice or similar experiences in advance :)

I woke up in the middle of the night, suddenly 100% paralyzed on my left side, leg and foot drop. My PCP got me a foot brace on the spot so I could at least walk but had to DRAG my left leg. 5 MONG months later had surgery to remove a prior botched fusion at L3/L4. Turned out the previous surgeon had NOT fused anything at all, just put hardware in and positioned it WROMG! The big surprise for all of us however was there was a massive large grapefruit tumor that had wrapped itself around the base of my spine that was the cause of my foot drop. So my new surgeon removed it but sadly ALSO went ahead and fused me from L3 to S1...

My foot drop began going away a tiny bit at a time. Now, 10 months later it is 90% gone. But I still can't walk for crap since I was never able to do any physical therapy due to all the complications from that tumor....I ended up with major failed back syndrome and other issues but I imagine YOU may be just fine once they get that nerve free from impingement?
    Fusion With Hardware C5/C6
    Fusion With Hardware L3 THROUGH S1
  • This spine stuff is crazy! I can't believe your experience. Glad to hear you're at a 90% improvement.
    I'm hoping you are correct - that once the nerve is freed, my foot will improve. I was a little flabbergasted to be put off 3 weeks. Everything I've read, and even my PCP said that this isn't something we wait on. Oh well, we will see.
  • littleone said:
    This spine stuff is crazy! I can't believe your experience. Glad to hear you're at a 90% improvement.
    I'm hoping you are correct - that once the nerve is freed, my foot will improve. I was a little flabbergasted to be put off 3 weeks. Everything I've read, and even my PCP said that this isn't something we wait on. Oh well, we will see.
    I was told by surgeons that they had NO way to know how much if ANY, my foot drop may improve, even after surgery. So with that warning I was a bit surprised to see it got so much better. It was slow going but GOD it is nice to not need to wear that foot brace! And I fell 3=5 times per day without the brace. Foot drop is an honestly very dangerous disability.
    Fusion With Hardware C5/C6
    Fusion With Hardware L3 THROUGH S1
  • according to all of the surgeons and their tests for it; my foot drop has resolved. I am six days post op and very happy. I am dealing with some severe residual nerve pain, which I was warned about. i still have some weakness too, but was told would go away with time too.
    fingers crossed. and thank you all for your support!!
advertisement