Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do I determine if a physical therapy place is "good"?

I recently saw an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion and he feels my supposedly bulging / herniated disc issues can be solved by physical therapy. The diagnosis he gave is cervical disc displacement and he prescribed physical therapy.

Does anyone on here happen to know of good physical therapy locations in the NYC area for cervical spine issues?

Barring that, what should I look for in a physical therapy location to determine if it is actually good? Thank you.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,835
    edited 02/10/2015 - 7:18 AM
    I use the same criteria as I do when determining if a hospital / nurse / staff is going to be right for you.

You interview them! I firmly believe in Physical Therapy. It is such an important part of anyone's recovery. When your doctor writes a script for your PT, you then put your hands into the therapist and rehab center you select. Many times, your doctor will make the recommendation in terms of which rehab center to go to.

So, once you have a rehab center in mind. Go see them with your script in hand, but without making the appointments. Have the lead therapist and/or office manager show you the facilities. Have them explain to you the sessions you would be under. Things to look for are:

• - Therapist to patient ratio
      - Therapist to patient vs Technician ratio
      - Open or Private rooms
      - Type of equipment at the center, the condition of the same
      - Ask about the features not normally visible (ie Traction units, Ultrasound)
      - Type of Heat/Ice treatments that are available.
      - Talk to some therapists, get a sense of feeling about them
      - Talk to the administrative staff. They will be the ones who schedule your appointments, work with your insurance company
      - etc Its hard to pin point everything
    One of the most important aspects of physical therapy is the therapist themselves. You could have the best first class rehab center in the world with sub-standard therapists or a sub-standard center with world class therapists. The therapist makes the difference.

One thing that is very important is that for all of your visits, you want to see the same therapist. You dont want to be passed around from therapist to therapist. These therapist will over time known and understand your body better than you do. I've been seeing the same therapist now for almost 7 years. She knows everything about me. When I walk in, she will know whats going on, whats bothering me, what needs to be worked on. Plus they are the type that read the doctors order's but based on their medical skills, think that something else should be done. Of course they will check with your doctor, but its that mind set you want

Also.... Many therapists are fine specimens of health. They are in top notch health. So at times, this type of therapist is the type that has the attitude, "No Pain No Gain" WRONG They may be perfect, but we are NOT.

As I started this, I truly believe in Physical Therapy But I also know when enough is enough. I have had to stop some therapist over the years ( 30+ years of therapist) and say NO.

I hope this helps somewhat in allowing you to select the right rehab center and the right therapist.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,804
    Thats the best description anyone could have written above when looking. All I would add is:

* prior look into the rehab clinic and the PT credentials, often it will show where they went to school, did their clinicals, hospitals they worked at and interests.
    * I asked what PT place the colleges and schools in area where sending their athletes because I am an agressive rehabber and i far prefer ones that have dealt with althletes because other times I was 25 in great shape other than pain and I was moved through rehab like i was 80 and when I dug down into it the technician was just following generic protocol and the PT said I could increase reps/wt as long as it did not cause issues, but the PT was way to busy at that place so took a while for me to get one on one time to ask those things.
    * if the PT does not give you at home exercises it should be a red flag and you should ask for them if medically safe
    * the initial consult should have alot of hands on work by the PT to see your muscle imbalances, pain sites, limitations etc if they just go off doctor prescription I would be wary

I did rehab at a college where guy taught PT and did side practice at the school. No technician. Far and away better experience. He was very hands on, current with treatments, and had a teachers mind but a practicioners skill. Highly recommend
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.