Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am Depressed from because of my herniated disc please help.

I'm 19 and I can't help but only feel worthless and depressed because of my injury. Ive been out of action since July 7 of 2014 due to my herniated disc in my lower back. I feel as if i can't live my life anymore, i used to always play soccer, run around with my brother's and dog work, be very active in sports and just feel so happy. Ever since then ive been stuck in a dark place in my mind. As if im never going to get my life back. Since july 7 2014 i have shown progress i dont walk with a limp no more, i can do certain movements i couldn't do before sometimes i forget to take my pain meds because i feel ok but the moderate/close to minor pain is still there and creeps up on me. Its always in the back of my mind everywhere i go. I feel as if i am healing and getting better but then again sometimes it comes back and i think im never going to get better and im going to have to rely on surgery to get my life back. Am i healing? Is this going away on its own? Will i ever be the same? Like jeez it hurts so much to know i am so young and i have this servere pain in my back and leg that i might have to live with for the rest of my life, im to young to feel this way I just want my life back. Please help

• That's the magical question.... When will it end? Some woman almost killed me in a car accident. Will it ever end? I'm currently dealing with chronic pain, but today in the now, I am going to manage it and make the best of it. My quality of life hangs in the balance.

If there are signs of healing, take it! These types of injuries need LOTS of time to heal and unfortunately, you will be on a Roller Coaster ride until you get there..... Do what your PT and Doctors say, that\s my advice to you. And don't stop and stiffen up. Keep moving, even if it's only walking.

Don't be depressed; it could always be so much worse. When feeling down, deflect. Get up and do something to take your mind off it. Do not become a prisoner of your ailments and do NOT become the "Debbie Downer" of what tomorrow MIGHT bring. Yesterday is gone and tomorrow is too far away. That leaves today. Any one person can take on the BS of just one day. It's when we combine the hardships of yesterday and the worry of what tomorrow might bring that things become unmanageable.

Hang in there and keep up the fight. It isn't over for you. Remember, your youth ONLY goes to your advantage. So stop looking at it like it will be a longer life of hell. Live for now. Love for today. Sending healing vibes your way.

IF you continue to improve, be happy! That being said, again, there will be bumps in the road to recovery, so just hang on for the ride.... Even if surgery is required at some point, I promise that you will be fine. That being said, it should always be the last option.
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • You're not alone. It's about perspective. One day I just woke up and saw this in a different light. You may think 40 is an old bat and I'm definately not 19, but I think this is an education in so many things. It tought me humility. It tought me grace. I learned how to bow down and respect the pain and this body I live in. I intend on living in it much longer, and much more healthily. I do excercises to keep me strong and I'm still finding the balance with nerve pain and sleep. Nobody really knows what it was like to use a walker and sweat until you reach the end of the driveway unless you've lived that. That was my July. I will never forget.
    What choices do we have? A dark brain and a depressed body isn't the best place to heal. A fervent hopeful attitude will drive the train to betterment. I went down the darkest paths to get here. The quicker you can get your mind on board the better.

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    What are you doing to speed the healing process along? At your age what you do now may determine how this injury ends up as an afterthought or an on going issue. There is plenty of time to get down if this thing lasts years and years but early on you should believe you are going to heal and put yourself in that position to heal. Are doctors doing everything they can and are you?
    It's not easy though at young age when every person you know, nurse or doctor you see makes comments like " you are to young to have this"., it just adds fuel to fire you already feel but it does not discriminate .
    Treat the depression if necessary and advocate for yourself .
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.