Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck pain

drgddrg Posts: 5
edited 02/12/2015 - 9:05 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hey, I'm a newbie.MY name is Marlene.
I have had neck/shoulder. left arm pain since Oct.
I was told by 5 different drs. it was "just " muscular.
I have used prednisone, anti inflammatory meds, and physical therapy.
Still hurting. Had Mri which showed large bulging disk at c-6 and c-7.
Had nerve conduction test done- showed carpal tunnel in both arms, which I knew I had but havenot been bothered with in a long time.
neck,shoulder and left arm hurt through out day.
I clean houses for a living, when done I hurt a lot and use heating pad and pain meds and try to rest . it pretty much takes all afternoon and night for me to get right and then the next morning it starts again.
Sitting, driving, bending over all make it worse.
Couple questions. Can nerve conduction be confusing in this situation, can the affected disk be pinching my nerve and it be not picked up on this test. ? Do drs . use other things also to go by such as their physical exam of you also?

• I also have nerve compression symptoms but my nerve study showed no nerve impingement. According to my PT, he feels those tests aren't completely accurate because they are done lying down, and maybe things shift in different positions and with different movement. So you may have some nerve compression while standing, that may not be present when lying down. I think those tests also only diagnose major nerve compression. Mine showed Inhad ulnar neuropathy but the test couldn't determine if it was coming from my neck or my elbow. So use the test as a guide line but I would say it's not 100%.
  • drgddrg Posts: 5
    edited 02/13/2015 - 10:07 AM
    Another question. Anyone ever have excess sweating at random times due to a nerve compression?
  • Hi marlene,

I have bulging discs at c5-c7 also. I had nerve conduction tests which showed radiculopathy. I also have neck, shoulder and left arm pain. Started out taking otc meds until I couldn't stand it any longer. Moved on to pain management and started using serious pain meds and nerve compression drugs. My symptoms only get worse with time. My arm is tired feeling all the time. I feel like I have bruised muscles and tendonitis also. Looking up or down causes bad neck pain.

Have had three consults with surgeons and all say the same thing. two level acdf with plate and instrumentation. Don't want to scare you but time hasn't helped me at all. I am worse as the years roll by. Let me know if you have any questions.