Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe nerve pain from elbow to finger tips w/ muscle spasms

jennycjjennyc Posts: 4
edited 02/15/2015 - 8:13 PM in Chronic Pain
I have been dealing with this for over a year first the whole arm was 100% numb after 5 months I got it back but now all I feel is nerve pain from elbow to fingertips ( i know its nerves because I' am hot and cold sensitive and if it starts drizzling rain on me its like being electrocuted) no one can find out why I am having the nerve pain. It is hard for me to work but Doctor told me I have to so I work at job with no lifting ,I sit or stand what ever I want only 3 days a week. The only lifting I do is mop and put 2 cans of soda in a fridge. In the last 5 months any thing I do with my left arm which I never stopped using gets severe muscle spasms from elbow to fingers. The nerve pain is so bad in my fingers it hurts just to hold a cigarette between them. I have told my doctor so many times I really think he thinks I am crazy. There is days I sit and cry because I am so much pain!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    edited 02/16/2015 - 9:09 AM
    What testing have you had done ? Nerve conduction/ EMG to determine what nerve was involved? Have you had ulnar nerve checked for impingement at elbow?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • No testing at all as doctors do not believe me. All that has been done is a MRI I went to school for medical asst. so I know it is nerve pain. Doctor says it might be corpral tunnel but I know what that feels like as I have it in my right arm and it still might be but would not explain other issues I have been having. When I my arm went numb I also have loss of sensation in my mid section I do not feel anything really good like I did before from neck down if you scratch my back I can feel the fingers going across my back but its like a tickling feeling when you touch someone's hand when it is asleep. All the numbness started at the same time but i got the nerve pain in my arm from elbow to fingertips about 5 months. Doctor did a test with a sharp object on my hand I got no feeling in my fingers except my pinkie.Now I get these small bumps that itch on my left arm and when I scratch them it hurts its like goosebumps . I believe its the nerves that are right below the skin that are over active but I can not get this doctor to listen to me
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    If you had pin prick and scratch testing and no feeling and the doctor is not concerned I would move on to seek second opinion. A good doctor / PT should be able to reproduce CTS or ulnar nerve issues by physical testing , did they test that ? Even if doctor is right and its CTS , what is the next step he is putting in place to help lessen symptoms and if symptoms don't lessen what then? Make the doctor lay out his plan and contingencies if that plan does not work. This may set your mind at ease. In my experience as long as they are not saying it's in your head or I can't help you anymore they have a plan in their head for your problem.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I am really disliking Texas because I can not afford insurance so I am on their health plan and in order to see another doctor it has to be voted on by their admin and can take months but he has not suggesting anything its all me I asked for a MRI and because I had a stent put in and I have the clamp both are all metal and I can only be in a MRI for only 15 min and the test they want to do is 45 min long they did not get it all finished. As this doctor will not recommend anything only sends me where I ask I am asking to be sent to a neurologist maybe I can get some answers then I could not even get him to touch me until I got on the state insurance program he stood across the room and said You look normal is not anything I can do for you. I told him was does a heart patient or someone with nerve pain look like that is how I found out about switching doctors because I did not like his attitude towards his patients and now he just goes with my advice instead of doing his job now as I got insurance. That is why I am asking for advice yes I went to school to be a medical asst but did not finish I like ideas on what I need to ask for I want to know what is going on and if it can be fixed get it fixed so I can go back to some kind of normal At least work . I can not even go fishing and enjoy the outside because if the wind hits my arm its painful!!! I can not sleep too much unless I lay on my arm and I can not let any air hit it at all! Hard to be comfortable in Texas in the summer wearing long sleeve shirts. I had a stroke in 2007 I fully recovered but i did lose all use of my left arm for 5 days I have no issues up until almost 2 yrs ago( this June it will be 2yrs). I had my heart attack Jan 1 2013 and this started before my heart attack. Doctor first said it was caused by my stroke this is before I had insurance when he would not touch me. I have had no issues after I got my arm back up until 2 yrs ago so I can not see that is from my stroke not 7 to 8 yrs later.