Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

9wks post op discectomy L5S1 MRI + ongoing symproms

Hi all,

I am 9 weeks post op L5S1 discectomy. Recently had MRI due to continued and worsened nerve symptoms. Surgeon was not too concerned with findings however said if symptoms continue in 6 months would look at doing fusion, I am petrified at the thought of this.

Physio was.concerned with MRI - granulated and scar tissue forming and abuts nerve root. Surgeon not concerned about this.

Since surgery I have noticed a reduced urge to wee , mentioned this to surgeon he will refer me to urologist for testing.

Surgeon has suggested I take Lyrica however I have.not start this yet as I still breastfeed and am concerned of its effects on my child. But my symptoms are getting bothersome and I want to start this medication to give myself the best chance.

Can anyone give me their insight and experience in any of the issues mentioned above?

Wishing u all the best in recovery

• christibencchristiben Posts: 121
    edited 02/20/2015 - 11:19 AM
    Hi! Gosh, I can't imagine going through this with a little one. Have you thought of bottle feeding so you can get a little more rest and focus on your health? Just bending and picking up a baby sounds painful. I breastfed my first child but had to switch to a bottle for other reasons. It was a difficult at first but the baby thrived and is now a healthy college student. We moms put so much guilt on ourselves. Best wishes.
  • Thanks. I guess I just need to take the plunge into this transition, mothers guilt as you say !! Stupid bloody back, it's getting harder to stay positive!! Just want to run around with my kids. All of the people in my surgeon s office are a lot older too!

I think I may have read some of your threads, undergone a fusion? What lead you to this did you have a discectomy first?
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 160
    edited 02/21/2015 - 5:56 AM
    Yes, do read. You will lean alot. I could not imagine a little one either! You will need help and support. A fusion is not a quick fix, It takes time to heal.
    Greg fisher
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 160
    Yes, do read. You will lean alot. I could not imagine a little one either! You will help and support. A fusion is not a quick fix, It takes time to heal.
    Greg fisher