Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No x-rays after fusion - is this normal

I had spinal fusion surgery of level 4,5 and S1 in December. I am currently 8 weeks post-op. It has been a difficult few months, the sciatic pain I had before surgery has gone completely which is amazing, but I'm getting a lot of numbness/ gnawing aching feeling in my feet and sometimes my calves which I didn't have before surgery. My lower back aches a lot at the fusion site. I wasn't given a brace, I've tried to be careful with bending, lifting and twisting but it can be quite hard.

I have had one follow up appointment at 6 weeks - it wasn't with the surgeon but with a junior colleague. He was quite dismissive, just checked the scars have healed (which they have) but otherwise didn't do any further examination. Reading other peoples posts it seems that most people have X-rays shortly after the surgery and at regular intervals. They told me at the follow up they don't do X-rays and there won't be any more follow up now for a year, in a years time they will do a CT scan to see if the bone has fused. I emailed the surgeon to ask about the numbness/ aching in my feet, he said it was normal and to expect to experience pain and discomfort for a while.

So I am now waiting until Feb 2016 for a CT scan/ any other further follow up. I feel a bit concerned about having to wait a year for any imaging of the surgery. Have other people had to wait this long and have they had only one follow up following the surgery?

I am in the UK so an NHS patient.

Thank you

• I see my surgeon at 2 weeks post op, 6 weeks post op, 3 months post op,6 month post op and then my 1 year post op. If I have any concerns she also gets me in right away. I got XRays for my 6 week (none for the 2 week post op, they just checked the scar out then) and for my 3 month and I am receiving a CT at my 6 month so it's weird how your surgeon doesn't seem to bothered by it. My urgein said this was standard procedure and I've never heard of a surgeon wanting to wait to the 1 year mark to get any images.