Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI joint injury caused at PT - 3 1/2 month post op L2-S1 fusion

Anyone else out there feel like the surgeries never end?? I had 4 surgeries last year alone, the last one at the end of October 2014. That one was a L2-S1 fusion that actually went extremely well. For the first time in 3 years I was decreasing my pain meds and feeling like myself again. That feeling was absolutely amazing for all of you that are in Chronic pain, you understand what I mean.
My back surgery adventure began May 2013 with a failed L2-L4 surgery. The surgeon convinced me that surgery was the only way to go after an injury the previous year followed by unsuccessful PT, injections, chiropractic, you name it, I tried it. I was desperate at the time and jumped at the promise of a pain free life again. What the surgeon neglected to tell me was the fact that back surgery success rates are really a 50/50 game of chance. I learned that one year later. The first surgery was truly horrible. The pain actually increased and my surgeon didn't want anything to do with me. He would not even see me for 1 year after the surgery, claiming all the pain was normal and I just needed to give it some time. One year later I went to a different surgeon actually closer to my home town in Wyoming. Initially we had traveled to SLC for the first surgery, thinking that a larger, back only hospital would be the best chance for success.
Wow....we're we ever wrong! My first surgery caused tons of problems from screws misplaced, to rotoscoliosis (twisting of discs), anterolisthesis (slipping of discs), just to name a few of the injuries.
My new surgeon had to fuse all the way from L2-S1 to correct all of the issues. Fortunately, I have had great success with this surgery. Sure, it was pretty painful, but for the first time in 3 years I was feeling human again. This all ended a couple of weeks ago when my physical therapist decided I needed to do single leg bridges to strengthen my core. HORRIBLE decision!!! Two hours after my appointment is was in excruciating pain. My PT said I was very swollen but that it was probably just a pulled muscle and it should be better in a couple of weeks. So I waited the 2 weeks and then called my surgeon. I saw him on Wednesday and it looks like my SI joints are messed up and I may need an SI joint fusion. I will find out next week.
This was devastating. I have kept my head up Through all of this but seem to finally losing the battle. I was actually planning on returning to work the 1st of March. I was told this put me back 2 months at the least and that was if I didn't need this other fusion, which he warned me I probably would. I honestly don't know how much more I can take. Last year was horrible and I was really hoping to turn a new page.
When I first went to see my new surgeon, I was surprised to find I had an appendicitis that was about to rupture so had emergency surgery to start off my series of surgeries last year. Unfortunately I had an invasive carcinoid tumor in there which led to a hemicolectom, followed by a gall bladder removal and then my L2-S1 fusion. I just can't take much more
I think the feeling of this was all better that I had earlier this month put me on such a high that this thought of going through another surgery is really getting to me.

Carissa D. Hewitt

• My si joints acted up shortly after my fusion. I got them I ejected and they have been good since. Si fusions are a big risk, and everything I read was bad. It is "normal" to have issues below and above fusion level les because of the increased pressure. Try an injection. Worked great for me.