Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Patient Assistance Went Through - Switching to Duragesic (Free, Yayyyy!)

Good Evening All!

I hope everyone is as pain free as possible today!

After the financial meltdown starting in 2007, I've had to periodically change to lower cost solutions for analgesics, sans Feb. 1st 2009 until 16 months later via my wife's employer... until she was permanently laid off. I lost in insurance after a ruptured appendix and resectioning of intestines due to gangrene a month before my 17th birthday in 1987. A myriad of health issues, including 3 bouts with cancer, left me uninsurable privately without being extremely wealthy, which is FAR from the case lol :)

Up until last summer I was on a good regimen that kept pain tolerable at a 6 or 7, except for flare-ups. I had to switch to 200mg once daily and 90mg bid of extended release morphine, with 15mg oxycodone for breakthroughs. Economic pressures dictated that I drop the oxycodone. I use a two store mom and pop pharmacy that is absolutely wonderful! I have been going there since birth (44 years). They received a discount card of some sort and let me use a GoodRX coupon if I paid part of the processing fee. The total cost was $140 per month, while a very good deal, is still tough for me as I am now a tad over 24 months since being able to work (multiple spine and hip procedures have seen me only spending my time recouping.)

I have since redone my SSDI claim and my Senator has had it kicked into high gear, if nothing else.

Sorry for the long back story :( Last summer my pain doc and I filled out Johnson and Johnson Duragesic patient assistance forms...that evidently got lost :( My father turned gravely ill and passed soon after, so the assistance was put on the back burner while we all got dad's things in order.

During my December pain doc visit we filled out the forms again. They were initially approved on Jan 27th, but had a hold for some manager at J&J to rectify. My pharmacist called them yesterday and I get them, absolutely free! I cried like a baby! My pharmacy had to order the Duragesic brand name, which will be here Monday just in time for my new Rx to start! I am elated to say the least, PLUS a after a delay with the ACA my subsidized insurance went through on Thursday!

My question is what should I expect in general as far as any drowsiness, lethargy, sleep disruption, etc. vs the extended release morphine? I have no issues or have never had any issues with itchiness, drowsiness, or lethargy with any of my meds (with the exception if In have to take my tid prn Xanax and Soma - and it still isn't too bad). The initial dose of Duragesic will be 100mcg, titrating later on as needed. I am 6' 3" and about 280 pounds, not too fat at all as in a past life decades ago I was an athlete; considering head to toe arthritis, 7 herniated discs, fractured hip socket and myriad other issues I am in "relatively" good shape.

Thank you!