Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AFTER surgery

I just had surgery on my spine for spondylosis.
I like the pain is worse then before. I'm just two weeks out the hospital. My pain is still going down my LEG and it hurts. How long will this last? It effects my sleeping.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • GirlieAngelaGGirlieAngela Posts: 1
    edited 03/02/2015 - 8:32 PM
    After 3 months of 10/10 pain... No walking.... Crawling around the house in agony with various pain medications being prescribed including liquid morphene.... I eventually after a friend begged the hospital due to me being so drugged up, living on my own with a 16 yr old and unable to attend work got a consultant appt.

I quickly had an MRI and was told I had quite a severe bulging disc and a nerve root injection was planned.... For the first few days and taking it easy... I could feel parts of my right leg coming back to life and felt 4/10. Nearly 2 weeks after this procedure I am back in pain, back taking morphene and struggling again. I'm depressed, can't go out, cant work and relying on friends and family to help me. The consultant did say he may advise the operation to remove the bulging disc.... Just feel like ending it right now.... I used to be social going out all the time and for 3 months I have been stranded indoors. I have a mortgage to pay and don't want to lose my house.... How do people manage? I can't live off diazapam and morphene and Tramadol and gabapentine and naproxen forever.... Can't drive because right leg is so weak. Am I being impatient??? Xx
  • I had a 4 level posterior instrumented fusion as a direct result of someone else's negligence in a car accident (C5-T2). My left arm and hand are weak and I narrowly escaped paralysis. I was the sole bread winner in my household. I understand that there are criminals everywhere, so I do understand why this process is an uphill battle, but it still isn't fair that the legitimate cases suffer and it is even more unfair that my family will have to endure this for many years to come..... In my country, there are limitations, so I wont be walking out of this a millionaire. Bottom line is that WE still need to live and please try to deflect when the going gets tough. Find something that makes you happy and just do it. The only other option is misery. YOUR quality of life hangs in the balance and so does your family's.

I'm dealing with chronic pain today. It is and has been an up hill battle for me as well and I too know that there is worse off here than me, so I just try to be thankful that I can walk and that I can breathe the air I breathe. I will see my little girls graduate and I can still be a part of their lives growing up. I try to enjoy what I can when I can and hope that some day things will be better. That's all we can do. Where there is faith, there is hope and never deprive someone of hope, it may be all they have, so I HOPE that I have brought you some hope with my words.....

I have been home for 14 months. "Stranded" is the under statement of the year.... This winter where I'm at has been -30 C steady.... The cold is tougher on us in every capacity, so I'm thankful that things are thawing out finally. This makes me happy. Spring is on the way :) Find happy thoughts that make you happy and focus on those thoughts as much as you possibly can.

Returning to my old career is not an option for me. My only option is to re-educate and I haven't been well enough to do that either.... Where do I go from here? It'll be years before my settlement is done and over with. In the meantime, it's a struggle that I have to endure. There is no other option. If I have to down size, I'll explore that when the time comes. Worrying wont change a damn thing other than your quality of life. You have to deal with your situation and make the adjustments in the moment. I'm sorry, but that is all we can do being in this predicament. I promise that in the end, things always have a weird way of working themselves out, so please be patient and take the necessary actions, day by day, to get to where you need to be. Any one person can take on the BS of just one day. It's when we take on the battles of yesterday and the hardships of what tomorrow might bring that things become unmanageable. Manage today, for your own sake. And try to enjoy what you can enjoy in the moment because we have to continue to live on for ourselves and our loved ones. No one knows your pain more than we do here at spine-health. We know it is difficult, but we MUST Soldier on...... Do not give up. Please try to see that things can and often do get better..... How do people manage? Moment to moment, day by day..... We're a message away!

Sending healing vibes your way, for TODAY :)

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • You just might be disappointed. The idea of surgery is to correct a problem and any pain improvement is simply a bonus.

Remember that you are fresh out of surgery. Everything is angry right now, so in my opinion, time is the answer in your case......

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore