Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain and Dizziness; Please help.

TarheelMom04TTarheelMom04 Posts: 1
edited 02/26/2015 - 6:23 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just turned 45 yrs old, and I have been having pain in my neck for a couple months now, not that bad (almost like a stiff neck). I have had lower back problems and have had surgery on it several years ago. But this is something new. My hands will go numb at times, especially if I hold them above my chest area.....cant even drive my car because I cant hold onto the steering wheel without my hands going numb (almost like they are falling asleep). This has been happening for about a year or so now. The neck pain has now, over the past week or two, gotten so much worse. The pain is sharp, burning and constant. The pain goes from my neck into my shoulder blade area on my back, and hurts really bad. Now the last few days, I am getting dizzy just out of the blue. dont even have to move and I will get very dizzy and lightheaded. There is no nausea, just pain in neck and dizzy. Can someone please tell me whats going on?? I have X-Rays scheduled in about 2 weeks for my neck, but should I be concerned?
Thanks so much
Christy W.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

*There is nobody on the forum qualified or permitted to give medical advice, all responses are based on members personal experiences only

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,817
    Cervical issues can cause dizzyness if thats what you are asking
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Sorry your in pain! Welcome to the group :) cervical problem are tough. There are so many different issue for your symptoms. It could be muscles, arthritis, shoulder problems etc. no 2 people are the same. You and I could have the same symptoms and have totally different problems. IS there anything that you do before you notice your pain? Hopefully your doctor can clarify after your X-rays.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Anything that causes numbness or pain shouldn't be ignored. I'm sure your xrays will answer some questions. If they don't, proceed with an MRI. In the meantime, don't lose your mind over it. Deal with it as it comes.

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Your arm issues sound like Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Your neck issues sound like a herniated disc. As well as X-rays I would suggest an MRI of your neck. I have a herniated disc at C4/5/5, C5/6 and I get the sharp stabbing pain in my neck and burning in my shoulder blade. With Thoracic Outlet syndrome if you place your hands and arms over your head and they go numb pretty quickly, then you most likely have that.