Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back from pain clinic

I left crying. The nurse practitioner basically said they doubt surgery is an option for me. Also I can come in for more injections but my condition will get worse with time. She prescribed me lyrica but no narcotics even for rescue. Im feeling quite sad.

• I read your previous post. Why do they think nothing can be done? Cord compression is a big deal, and although not always surgical, it is definitely worth getting a second opinion. Maybe your new baby is why they are hesitant to try narcotics? I wouldn't give up on pain management, but I would seek a second opinion about your options for treatment.
  • ReadyforchangeRReadyforchange Posts: 90
    edited 02/27/2015 - 12:19 PM
    I appreciate the support. Who knows why they do what. I won't be doing a cervical epidural without pain killers for a few days after though. I will tell them that before I go.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,804
    The ESI is not that bad. Why is a NP advising you in regards to surgury, is that her opinion or is she reading doctor report? Not to disrespect NP in a spinal aspect , but they do well to maintain medicine in those areas and manage treatment but sheer knowledge about spine and spinal conditions I found them lacking. In terms of thoracic spine all they ever did was say they would ask the doctor or bring him in to answer more in depth questions. I am not a fan of NP in diagnosing aspect or really digging down to meat of the spinal issue.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • I have had multiple ESI's. It all depends. For me, a couple were not that bad. Others left me in serious pain for a day or two. Maybe the set off muscle spasms, but whatever it was, I would not want to do it without pain medication.
  • I appreciate the feedback. The NP read theMRI report. I read thecal sac indention, moderate stenosis on the right,and cord flattening. My issue is spondlylosis/ arthritis so I "want" surgery. That being said I don't see a surgeon until Wednesday. I am dealing with constant headaches, right arm and shoulder issues and general pain.