Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 year post 360 fusion and problems spreading

SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
edited 02/27/2015 - 10:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ask me six or seven months after my two-level 360 fusion how I was doing and I would have answered, "pretty good!" I was truly feeling like I was improving every day and I was even off all meds for a few weeks. After being on norco for years, that was something I was really proud of. PT left me stronger than ever and my life was getting back on track.

Fast forward to today and things aren't so great anymore. I cannot pinpoint a time, or a fall or injury, but at some point after that, my decline began. I had more pain instead of less and the awful spasms came back, twisting and contorting my spine in an attempt to find relief.

Last Saturday, I had a lumbar and thoracic MRI. My very first thoracic MRI and my first lumbar study since prior to surgery. The disc directly above my fusion (L3-4) isnt doing well. It is incredibly painful. My thoracic discs are aslo accelerating in their degeneration and I have three thoracic bulges, one abutting the ventral cord. My upper back hurts and I wake with such tenderness that getting out of bed is becoming very difficult.

I expected the L3-4 stuff. It's painful, but it was a known risk. What I wasnt prepared for is the thoracic pain, kyphosis and disc bulges. My entire spine is sore. I have issues from C7-T1, T3-4, T6-7 and T7-8. I'm not sure what this means for my recovery. Is it over?

Needing some support. Sorry to moan!
2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1

• I'm so sorry for you. I remember your surgery was a bit after mine and it seemed like you were doing pretty good. Do you think PT might do you any good? Or maybe injections? I know it seems like the battle never ends. I've had a bad case of sciatica this week. I think it may be from either SI joint or my Periformis since it's deep in my butt. I had a shoulder replacement surgery a month ago and my Physical Therapist thinks it might be from being in a sling and carrying my body crooked. I hope you get some relief soon.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil