Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

money and surgery

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,831
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:19 AM in Chronic Pain
my hospital bill for 3 and a half days for fusion-$130,000. must be the stool softeners, my bath and the t.v. in my room. it sure wasn't from the nurses' care. thank god i have insurance where it pays 100% after a certain amount charged. i almost went back for a heart attack when i saw the bill
jon
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement

Comments

• Can't remember what total bill was but just my pharmacy bill for 3 days was 18k. It wasn't like I was on any "new" drugs. And Paul, as far as I know, the docs always bill seperately. As well as anesthesia-ologists or anyone else with a title that walks within 10 feet of you.
  • That was for the surgery and the hospital stay....RIGHT?? I know after working in a hospital for several years that they can bill separately. You know the drill, hospital stay, doc's bill, anesthesiologist's bill, some times labs are outted and so you will get ANOTHER bill for that....etc. So was that for everything of just basically the room and EXCELLENT nursing care ;) ? If it was just the room, I hope you had solid gold water pitchers and satalite tv with EVERY movie channel as well as 24 hour access to the kitchen, private cheif and permanent waiter in your room to wipe your chin and your A**!!!!
    It's ridiculous what they charge these days for ANYTHING, gas, food, cars, MEDICAL CARE!!
    Take Care,
    Beth
  • I received an itemized statement from the hospital and was pretty amazed by some of the charges. I only had a C4/5 fusion and the hardward and 4 scews were $10,000!!!
  • hospital room only
    not dr or anything else
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • My bill so far is about that much, but I still have to get the bills from the 2 docs and radiology and anethesia~
  • Interesting the cost. I had mine submitted as a non-insured and the hospital stay for 3 1/2 days with pharmacy, OT,PT and use of surg and anthesia was only 38K! Now I am awaiting professional fees. I figured out the door for all associated costs would run between 110K and 140K. The reduction for Non-insured was as much as 40% on some charges. :jawdrop:

• My NS nurse gave me a copy of the orders- the fees they are charging just for the hardware and my NS is $58,000 (that includes follow up visits).

Hospital Stay and all that jaz I figured we can be up to $250,000 very easily. I will need to pay $1,000 for hospital stay and Insurance (when approved) will pay the rest.

Julie
  • that is amazing! I have a $500 deductible and then my insurance kicks in and pays 90%. Last year my plan paid $100 but we have group insurance and a few big big claims bumped it up for everyone. Then there are the $15 copays for EVERYTHING, even PT which can get outrageously expensive!!!
  • i'm glad i have ppo insurance and not hmo. we have kaiser as an alternative plan which is was on once, all they did for me is give me back exercises. would not even give me an mri when i requested one for reoccuring pain. i have had ppo for 20 years now and i can get anything and anyone i want to without referrals. and as i mentioned before, after reaching a certain amount on my bill, they pay 100%. the hospital wanted $5000 up front and i explained this fact and that i would not pay the 5K. what would they do turn me down? i don't think so. i pitty da fools who have hmo's. some people like them but i don't at all and never will at all ever. when i retire, my wife will still have ppo which she will put me on so i won't need to use medi care
    jon ;)
  • A fool with HMO.I don't need referrals for in-network docs,MRI CT Scan,etc.The ins covers 100% of surgery,hosp.stay,blah blah
    The fool does not pay $5,000 and wait for insurance to kick in
    The fool insurance costs $120 a month(fool and fool's wife).
    Did I mention,the fool uses on of the best med.centers in da country.So,please,spare me your pity.
    Hope you are having a nice day!
  • Gotta laugh - mine was in that range too; they billed 50K for hardward alone (single level fusion) & got 15K. The most pathetic thing was the charge for the respiratory therapist to visit me post op (I was extremely healthy & active pre-op despite my back, no breathing problems post-op or low pulse-ox's) - "here blow into this plastic thing" was worth $300 to my insurance, and a physical therapist teaching me to "log roll" out of bed was another $300. I have to say I think my surgeon was underpaid for his work (under 6K), I wouldn't want that stress and liability on me!
  • i wondered what those little breathing things cost. also the morphine pump and also the little booties that they put on my feet to keep me from getting blood clots.any idea how much stool softeners cost? it is hard to imagine how much these little things cost that you don't even think about. i also had a dry bath and a shave that probably was not free. it would be a hoot to get an idemized bill of all the little things they give you. i know meds are expensive but i bet everything that i was given cost me. any one know how much the morphine machine costs per day? i forget what the name of it was. something like pvi or piv or something like that. if any one knows please let me know. i would be curious. don't forget the meals, blood tests and blood pressure. i also was probably charged for my little walks everyday. when one thinks about it, there were lots of little things one does not think about that one gets charged for.
    jon :D :O :sick:
  • I used to work for a hospital system and I promise you that if you saw an itemized bill for even a simple hospital stay (like 24 hr maternity w/no complications) you would be astounded! Everything that that is related to a patient is a separate charge, including the toilet paper, soap in the dispensers, etc. And, you do have the right to request a copy of your itemized bill from your hospital. Just be prepared to get have to have someone else carry it in for you because I'm certain it will be over the usual spiney weight lifting restriction! :)

My 360 fusion (with 2 surgeons)in November 07 totalled at almost $350,000. Thank God I had already met my maximum out of pocket and only had to pay a few misc charges not covered! :)
  • Man you all are really making me have 2nd thoughts about having surgery. The pain in my back & legs maybe nothing compared to the pain in my wallet after the ins gets done with me.I'm still trying to save up $$$$ & vacation time to cover recovery. Guess I better start buying more lottery tickets. :jawdrop:
  • If the surgery has even a chance of relieving your agony, wouldn't it be worth the cost? I know that paying for surgeries is outrageously expensive, but I would find a way to pay for it if it was going to help me. Of course it's a bit easier for me to throw that out there since I have a spouse that works and takes care of the finances. When I became unable to work we made the necessary adjustments to our living expenses and have learned to live a bit differently.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.