Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has Anyone Recovered From Nerve Damage?

Rods painRRods pain Posts: 21
edited 03/03/2015 - 2:29 PM in Recovering from Surgery
I keep hearing 12 to 18 months. I have been dealing with left foot and leg pain for the last 9 months. I had a micro discectomy at L5/S1..... I feel that I have made some improvement but very little. I'm currently taking Lyrica and Nucynta for my pain which helps some. I feel that my Dr is starting to think this maybe permanent, because now he has mentioned a SCS and said I would be a good candidate. My question has anyone recovered from numbness and nerve pain after 9 months? Thanks!! Rod

• Well, I definitely don't have an answer, but I wish I did as I'm in the same situation. It's been almost five and a half months since my fusion surgery and I just had a battery of tests run again which seem to indicate abnormality in the nerve root. While the surgeon hasn't given me his interpretation of the results, the radiologist's report mentions possible adhesions or arachnoiditis as a cause and that, combined with absolutely no change in my symptoms in my foot, seem to pretty clearly point to some serious and likely permanent damage.

It's frustrating and disheartening and scary....but life has to go on. I hope that you and I both discover that we just need more time to heal....or that medical technology makes some awesome advances in terms of nerve damage.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • littleonellittleone Posts: 77
    edited 03/03/2015 - 3:39 PM
    receive answers soon, and positive ones at that.
    coltsfan, you gave me some great advice back in December when I started down this long road. thank you. I hope for the best for you.
  • I know others that have recovered from nerve damage.
    What do you mean? is it pain or numbness?
    I have numbness b/c of how hard the disc hit the nerve the day it ruptured. After my 2nd MD (L5-S1) it took about 3-6 months for the pain to finally subside. I do still have occasional flare-ups but in general, Advil or Tylenol does the trick. The nerve damage that did end up being permanent is the NUMBNESS on the left side (buttocks, perineum, back thigh, heel to outer toes) - and I've learned to get used to that feeling (or lack there of) and only am irritated when it's really cold (my foot is very sensitive to cold now).

Nerves are funny - they can take several months to recover. I have heard some others I know say when they start to recover, the actually hurt more as the nerve was 'waking up'. I'd say keep the faith!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    Sometimes its hard to distinguish between them.

Nerve Pain
    To me, nerve pain, is the tingling, numbness, stabbing, dull throbbing pain you get at various times during the day. For many its worse at night. This pain could last for months, for some up to 18 months or longer, and then for some it is basically for life.That type of pain is generally treated with medications such as Lyrica and Neurontin.

Nerve Damage
    Here I am talking about nerve damage or potentially dead nerves. When a nerve has been compromised for an extended period of time, there are chances that the damage is permanent. On one of my lumbar surgeries, I waited too long to have the surgery and as a result I have permanent nerve damage on my right leg. I have several dead nerves, and I have a semi-drop foot because of dead nerves. Two of my right toes really have no feeling.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Dnice, I also had a hard hit on my nerve. My Dr said I had the largest herniation he had ever seen and he has done more than 2000 surgeries. I have had numbness and pain since my surgery 9 months ago. I have the tingling, numbness, stabbing, dull throbbing pain and burning in my heel and the outer part of my foot. Mine follows the S1 nerve path. I could get used to the numbness, but the extreme pain is what is debilitating . I have tried the max dose of both Lyrica and Gabbapentin with little relief. Surgeon is saying give it some more time and then if it's still there after a year or so a SCS will be an option. Not really wanting that, but if it will help I may do it. I still have a little hope that this will go away one day soon.
  • I am 2 months post ALIF at L5/S1 combined with TDR at L4/L5 and am starting to see improvement in my nerve related symptoms.
    I had severe nerve pain in my right leg and foot combined with about 25% reduced dorsi/plantar flexing (drop foot). After a couple of weeks the pain was limited to my foot.
    The pain however was still excruciating and I also had the feeling of wire inside my foot, wrapped round my toes pulling tight. I got readmitted to hospital twice as the pain was not manageable at home.
    Now though, 3 weeks post last discharge I am finally seeing the symptoms subside. The pain has reduced by about 75% and I have managed to reduce my medication. I have started Physio and whilst the drop foot persists the foot feels better and my Physio is confident full flexion wil return.
    We have to remain positive and trust the medical professionals.