Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RFL Cervical Ablation Done - Having burning sharp pain

I hope someone can help me. I had three RFL (radio frequency ablation/nerve burn) done in the past without any issues. However, I had the 4th one done in January 2015 and have been dealing with bad pain ever since. The day of the procedure I thought something was not right because of the amount of pain I was having that I did not experience before after this procedure.

The pain continued daily with a burning, pinching, sharp pain. A week after I had it done I saw my family doctor and told him. He examined me and saw the area of my neck where the procedure was done (C6/C7) and upper back were red. My family doctor thought it was an infection. I saw the pain management doctor who did the procedure the next day and he saw the redness too. I told him about the burning, pinching/ sharp pain I was having and he put me on prednisone for a week. Neither the antibotic nor prednisone helped. It's been nearly 3 months now and I'm still having burning, pinching, sharp pain.

Saw pain management doctor last week regarding this issue and he did acupunture and told me to take Zanaflex muscle relaxer 3 x a day. I couldn't handle the Zanaflex during the day so I've been taking it only at night and taking SOMA (muscle relaxer) during the day. The harsh pain is intermittent , but when it comes on I buckle at the knees and flinch because it's so painful. I have muscle spasm but I'm used to that pain and can deal with it. This is much more extreme than just a muscle spasm.

Has anyone ever had issues like that and if so, does anyone know how to fix this? Does anyone knows what this is or what causes this?

Thank you very much for any help.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had my cervical RFA last Wednesday. Felt great for 5 days. Then starting this past Tuesday the pain has been severe. Supposedly, per my PM doc, I can feel pain from RFA for up to 6 wk. They did give me Neurontin/Gabapentin the day of the RFA, but the pain I have isn't nerve related, more muscular, so it was of no help. Using my standard pain meds (MS Contin, Perc, and Flexeril) with a little success along with NSAIDs
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos