Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My issues started in mid-December. I had bronchitis and had a horrible cough, to the point I was puking from coughing so hard and pulled rib muscles. Anyway, my doctor gave me a rib belt to wear. That same day, I was at work and twisted in my chair and both legs went numb and left like pins/needles (sort of like they were asleep) and waking up. I immediately felt like I was going to pass out and like I was having a heart attack. I ended up in the ER. They did EKG, blood work and said it was a panic attack (including the leg numbness) and sent me home.

I followed up with my doctor and had x-rays. Nothing showed up. She did lots of blood tests and everything was normal. She said to take Aleve and sent me on my way.

A week later (still in pain and still numb in both legs, I ended up back in the ER with both legs and my right arm numb. They did a lumbar puncture, MRI of my spine and more blood tests. Everything was normal/fine. I was given Oxy and sent home. Oxy did not touch the pain. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't sit, walk, bend, etc. I was miserable.

I figured it was an intercostal muscle tear (from coughing) as that pain wrapped all the way around my torso--from the front of my ribs to my spine.

I followed up with my doctor again and was given Lorazepam and told to wait a month because it's probably a pinched nerve and they take months and months to heal.

In the meantime, I started massages and physical therapy.

Nothing was helping...the massages gave temporary relief and the physical therapy made things worse (especially without an official diagnosis)....

I went back to the doctor and she said--"Oh you're 34 and it could be MS." So she ordered an MRI with contrast of my brain. Talk about anxiety and stress! Thank GOD everything came back normal....

My doctor prescribed Lyrica, which I could not take because it made me incredibly dizzy. Then she prescribed me Cymbalta and those side-effects were worse--vomiting, hot flashes, insomnia, terrible nightmares when I did sleep and suicidal thoughts! My legs did feel better when I was on the Cymbalta but the other side effects were not worth it....

Finally, my doctor referred me to a neurologist and I've been waiting for three months (my appointment is this Friday).

I've been wondering--could this be piriformis?? Nothing showed up in any blood tests or any of the MRI's or the lumbar puncture...the tingling is in both legs and my feet. It's a dull, achy pain in my butt (feels like it's sore and almost like a bad bruise)....

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery