Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The Joy of Waiting for Surgery

abenakiaabenaki Posts: 76
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well, this is the first time ever for me doing the online thing. It has been fun. I am scheduled for my ACDF at c 5-6, 6-7 (possibly 4-5) on Thursday and it is so good to have it on the books!! I hurt like .... but there is no sense in slowing down because of it. I have had chronic pain issues for almost six years and at least one part of it can be fixed. I am riding my bike, golfing and walking. Even if I have to stop and put my head down from too much pain it is worth it just to keep going. This place has been great because it lets me know there are others out there like me and it give me all the more reason just to do as much as I can. I don't sleep a lot but enough but hopefully after Thursday I will sleep a little more. At least one pain area may be fixed!
So...off to do something else that will leave me in agony but smiling!
Sometimes the pain does get me down but then I remember all of you out there and push myself ahead...it will be sad to hang up my bike for the season Thursday but at least I got this much in!

• And it sounds like you have a great one. I'm glad that you are soon getting help with at least one area. Consider yourself lucky that you still have the ability to keep going. For some, riding a bicycle would be an impossibility, no matter how hard they tried. For some others, swinging a golf club just "ain't gonna happen". I hope that your surgery will give you back some of your quality of life. Good luck with surgery.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • thanks for your comment, Cindy. I also know what it is like to just not be able to do what you would like to. Two years ago I couldn't walk at all or even lift a gallon of milk. I started walking again after 1 and one half years. I still struggle to walk far or even swing a golf club but what alternative do we have? Even if it is waking up in the morning and getting to the shower, I call that a winning day!! Riding a bike was just icing on the cake. But you are right, attitude is all we really have...

You have been through it to and you know. I hope you continue to find strength each day.
  • One of my favorite quotes is "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." But sometimes it is hard, as we all know. Today has been one of those days that iI just wanted to crawl under the covers in my air conditioned bedroom and stay there all day. I came home from church today, had lunch with my family, and have been in bed for the past 5 hours. Your post has just given me the inspiration to "get going" today.

You are right, even doing a little is doing better than nothing.

What is your history? how did you injure your neck? Why couldn't you walk for a year and a half? I'd love to hear your story.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Cindy--I look at your avatar, and I think you are an inspiration! It's obvious you are tough! I hope you have a better day tomorrow. Bless you--Mazy
  • Hi Cindy...my story takes too long...the end of it was I was forced off the road by a truck and into a concrete barrier on June 7 or 2006. Shattered my left leg, blew three discs in my lower back, tore off a finger, etc. So, that is the short of it. Before that I had other events like blown knees, shoulder surgeries, lower back problems, Vertigo, etc...that is just my story...someone with a hang nail may have it worse and I mean that seriously...we all have stories and they all have different paths...yet through it all as I has sat with many people nearing death, people suffering, or people extremely happy I have found that it is not so much how they felt but how they perceived how they felt. There are days that I stay in bed all day and I have learned to be ok with that. Most days though I push myself too far, another twenty mile ride tonight after work then almost a fight with a driver who almost ran me over...I was angry at life not him though he was in the wrong running a stop sign...I just want to live my life as best I can. Watch my kids continue to grow, (one may marry this summer) and do the best I can. I have a daughter who is 20 who has Down Syndrome and a lot of medical complications. I guess Lydia has taught me that life is just unfair most of the time but it is more about how we deal with that...she laughs, cries and then gets up another day to see how it will go...some day I hope to be as wise as her...
    I am rambling...know that always, through it all we are never really alone...we have people around us, people who came before us and people who will come after us there to cheer us on...
    Feel free to email me on the site if you want a little more to the story but I don't want to bore everyone who reads this...Gary (P.S. yes I am worried about my surgery on Thursday and probably won't sleep well till then)
This discussion has been closed.