Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc bulging or herniation between L5/S1 ? Treatment?

ShaikhSShaikh Posts: 1
edited 03/12/2015 - 3:36 AM in Lower Back Pain

I am a 26 year male and very depressed nowadays because of the recurring lower back pain. I have had a lower back problem due to the disc compression between L5/S1 five years ago, it was healed then after four months but has recurred now because of my excessive riding of bike (with damaged shock absorbers) and long sitting on PC at office. I had an MRI yesterday the report of which interprets as follows:
MRI of Lumbosacral Spine Full Study
No evidence of osteomyelitis or tumor mass lesion.
Small hemangioma is noted in body of L1 vertebra
Mild diffuse disc bulge is seen at L5/S1 level with focal annular tear posteriorly causing mild compression over anterior thecal sac. Small focal annular tear and disc dessications also noted at this level.
No canal stenosis or foraminal narrowing is seen

Please find the image of MRI on the link below: (and confirm me whether it's bulged or herniated)

Please suggest me what to do? Should I follow the bed rest? The pain is not severe but it's uncomfortable. I have also felt tingling at feet couple of days ago.

Thanking you in anticipation.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    *There is nobody on the forum medically qualified or permitted to give medical advice or interpret an MRI, all responses are based on members personal experiences only

Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • mark101mmark101 Posts: 1
    edited 03/15/2015 - 10:58 AM
    Dude, I really have to say that I feel your worry. Im 41, have been a competitive athlete in triathlon, football and then later on powerlifting and bodybuilding. Ive been in the army (recon) and put my body through things not many people could ever dream of. After all this, sciatic pain, disc compression on a nerve is the worse ever debilitating pain I have ever had. I had it 10 yrs ago when I slipped L5/S1 doing squats whilst warming up with only the bar!!! I was like xxxx..spend 6 months not being able to even tie my shoes. After months and months of constant rehab exercises and downing pills by the hand load did I get better..beyond better...stronger, fitter, more powerful than I had ever been, dead lifting and squatting massive weights properly...guess what, in July 2014...bang...happened again and here I am on the sofa right back where I was 10 rs ago, only this time im 10 yrs older and taking a lot longer to get better...why do I tell you all this?....cos you gotta hang in there mate, be positive and have faith ul be ok. Treat your body well, I obviously didn't and there is a lot of wear and tear and trauma because of what ive done...obviously you have a weakness there maybe like I did and you need to consider that.
  • FritzcrackerzFFritzcrackerz Posts: 246
    edited 03/15/2015 - 10:58 AM

I had that a few years back and physio sorted it out. (Although I later completely wrecked it in a bad lift.)

Follow physio advice.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.