Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anthem / Blue Cross California Coverage of MIS

I'll admit that I am deathly afraid of having surgery but it has become painfully obvious, pardon the pun, that I am getting worse. Besides the pain and numbness of the toes being mainly in my right leg the numbness has spread to my left leg.

Recently I tried to change my insurance plan and the at Anthem had me first cancel my policy with them. Once done a call assistant got on the phone and took control of my computer and signed me up for an Affordable Care plan with a nice subsidy. At the end IT determined that I qualified for Medi-Cal and IT refused to allow me to pay for my insurance. I have to prove to Medi-Cal that I can afford insurance. Adding insult to injury, literally, I can only get a subsidy if I make $47k for a family of two. I do and more.

So now I am trying everything to get my Anthem back. With this said I am concerned that Anthem won't approve a minimally invasive surgery (MIS) over a very painful Laminectomy, a week in the hospital, and 12 weeks of recovery. Except for my daughter, a brain cancer survivor, I am alone. I have no reliable family to help care for me after a major surgery and this adds to my fear.

Does anyone have experience with Anthem / Blue Cross and a MIS?

• Ok so I'm not going to tell you to do this or that, however being that I have anthem blue cross and just had a multiple level laminectomy, I will say the following. So I had/have major damage to the lumbar and had it for 8 1/2 years before surgery. This may or may not have effected the effectiveness of the procedure but I have yet to make a full recovery. Like you though, I was having lots of sciatic pain down my left leg and buttock, and after the surgery I intially had zero leg pain but after a few weeks it has returned, albeit not as bad but came with a bit of right leg pain. Whether the surgery was a success or not is still yet to be decided but I was bEtween a rock and a hard place due to the fact that while I was still able to be somewhat active in the gym, my surgeon told me that I was at risk lower limb paralysis. If you happen to be in SoCal I can refer my doctor and honestly I think it was more a bad situation and he did well. He has been courteous, kind, and explain thoroughly what the risks were without being surgery happy as was another doctor on my plan (blue cross) .the other dude literally wanted to give me a fusion after taking a glance at my MRI. Anyway, hope it helps.
    • Degenerative Disc Disease
    • Disc Bulge L2-L3, L4-L5
    • Disc Herniation L5-S1
    • Facet Arthrosis
    • Laminectomy L1-S1 02/18/15
  • Yes, your comments are helpful. I appreciate you. I am in So. Calif. and would be happy to read who your Dr. is. The Neuro that my Dr. sent me to took a look at me, my chart, and then said to come back ion two weeks for cortisone shots. Due to his attitude I didn't go back. That was a year or more ago and now I likely need a fusion. But I just cannot be played all over the operating table culminating in a 12 week minimum recovery period. I have a child to take care of.
  • Does anyone have experience with Anthem / Blue Cross approving a MIS?