Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

This is absolutely nuts! pain is getting worse

I have been dealing with Neck and shoulder pain for approximately 4 yrs. now. I was dealing with it and it got worse last summer. I started to go down hill with leg pain, clumsiness, arm weakness and pain, headaches. Last summer I finally got a diagnosis of having a herniated disc at C5/C6 with spinal compression and myelopathy. I had acdf surgery in September. Shortly after the surgery I started getting awful headaches in October for a month straight. The doctor put me on gabapentin, and cyclobenzaprine at regular doses and I started PT. I have also seen a neurologist to help control the headaches. I was started on nortriptyline and a rescue drug for cervicogenic headaches with migraine characteristics. All this has been helping until this last week. The pain is all back with a vengeance all the sudden. I haven't changed anything or had any accidents to have all of this pain coming back like this. I am totally confused about what is happening with me. I thought things were getting better. I was hoping I was moving in the right direction. Anyone else go through this?
Tracie C

• I was in a car accident 3 times before I reached 20. One of them I was treated for "whiplash" the symptoms cleared up and I lived my life. Around the year I hit 30 I was having stiff neck issues with migraines. After a doctors visit it was explained to me that childhood spine injuries wake up years later. You heal quicker in your teens and twenties. Doctors treat you conserviitly and spine conditions go symptomatic and flare up over and over until mri's are done. By then you have signed off with the auto insurance company with a low check and now the bills are all yours. So maybe it's a accident that happened decads ago returning??
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • tkountouris57ttkountouris57 Posts: 1
    edited 03/16/2015 - 2:23 AM
    I was on EMBREL 50 mg weekly for the last 5 years a TNF blocker , 1984 the pain was started plus the eyes iritis etc I use most of the drugs the TNF blocker works however I found accidental I was having thyroid pappilary carcinoma type 6 I have surgery in xxxx 27/10/14 total thyroid removal plus iodine 131 radiation I am on thyroxine for life 58 years old what to say I stop the EMBREL 50 I cannot use anymore because of cancer lower the immune system , Mobic 7.5 mg was recommended the EMBREL. Is working if. Causing cancer or no I do not know , what I know is immune disorders is hard to manage
  • rtconant1rrtconant1 Posts: 348
    edited 04/12/2015 - 4:01 PM
    About 23 yrs ago I got hit by a car while on my bike. I don't remember them being too concerned about my neck at that time. Just about my leg and arm. I didn't seem to have much issues. Other than that I have had a couple small accidents that I had gotten whiplash but it was minor. Maybe something caused it. Its hard to say. Ive thought about it but it was dismissed pretty quickly by doctors so I didn't even bring it up to the neuro-surgeon.
    Tracie C
  • I was diagnosed with osteo arthritis as a young teen so I've been told my problems are hereditary. It didn't effect my life at all really until after I'd had my first child. Although a small fall started all the constant pain I've been told that the degeneration had been very slowly building for a very long time & the accident just accelerated the inevitable.
    I can be going along fine & suddenly encounter a flare from hell for no reason. As often as not I have no idea why my pain suddenly flares or gets worse. I've had a lot of MRI's & sometimes I'm horrified how fast things can change in my spine. Other times it doesn't change much at all.
    Sometimes my pain flares because I've been pushing too hard or the weather changes or I hurt myself doing something I shouldn't be doing. I've been living with chronic pain for about 9 years. To begin with pain diaries helped me learn about restrictions, comfortable positions, changing ways I perform tasks etc. Now I try not to drive myself nuts questioning why if it's just a flare. If it persists it's back to pushing for answers & making a plan, again! Ugh!! It's always better for me when I have a plan. It makes me feel like I have some kind of control in my life.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.