Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone ever heard of this?

First off I am not looking for a diagnosis although I can't seem to get any answers from a Doctor either. What I'm wondering is if anyone else has ever experienced this or anything similar. Not that I would consider it "normal" but I think when others tell us "Yes, I've had that too and my Doc said blah, blah, blah" it helps us too feel a little less mentally stressed about our symptoms. Sometimes we are reluctant to even discuss every symptom with our Dr.'s due to the rush in and out care of today and the odd looks that get shot our way. For those of you that have found a compassionate AND skilled Doc, I envy you. But I know from reading through these posts that plenty of us aren't so lucky. Anyway back to my question. I have dual sciatica that was confirmed as a radiculopathy on an NCV/EMG but didn't show on my last MRI. What is compressing my nerves is a mystery to me as no one has given me any clue. I seem to have intermittent bouts of severity with the last about a month ago of complete loss of control of my right foot and ankle. I am slowly regaining a very slight ability to flex my ankle up or down while sitting though my foot starts trembling. I noticed that when I'm laying down I have the ability to flex it not completely but much more so. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,816
    Limpy1, it is such a great thing to find that doctor like that. For so long I could not relate to the others on here saying their doctor is supportive, bends over backwards to help, acts like a detective and trsts them with compassion . Now I can and its worlds different, I am never rushed or embarrassed to talk about all my synptoms . I am offered pain management with different med trials, treatment trials and her coaching my other doctors so they fully understand issues at hand and all I do is talk to her about my symptoms and she brings up pain management to help if needed. It's great and takes a load of my mind to know I have a doctor like her. I could go on for a long time but back to your question , yes I have had sciatica like problems without MRI showing compression. The neuro eventually believed I had stretched that nerve in an injury , I was barely walking after 8 months with it and he suggested cymbalta to try and give nerve help healing, in a week I was walking normal and after two weeks the problem was gone . Been since 2004 and no issue with sciatica since. The other doctors said could not be sciatica if MRI clean and sent me back to work.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • What's funny is I asked for a copy of the Neurologist's report that did the Nerve Conductive study and EMG and his report stated literally "Although my diagnosis is musculoskeletal in nature and not seen on MRI my results were abnormal with a diagnosis of a radiculapathy at L4-L5. Perhaps it is intermittent". Mine is a work injury and I'm a fed. worker so when I say none I mean there is literally no Orthopedic or Neurosurgeons anywhere in this part of the state other than the 1 my general Occ. Doc found that I commented about in another post near where I live that will see me. I'm told not only do the bills never get paid, they do not have to abide by state rules (such as private workers comp ins. has 30 days to approve or disapprove a treatment. ours can take as long as they want ) and it's next to impossible to get the treatment you need when you encounter a long term situation. Attorneys that will help you are pretty scarce too. All's I'm having any luck in finding is out of state ones that will help with SSD. Sometimes I have no choice but to google my symptoms and see if I can figure anything out myself. I do have numerous mild bulging disks now that were seen on an x-ray last month but I realize that this is not likely to be the problem. Unless they too are variable I took the above Neuro's statement, my intermittent symptoms, and have since been wondering is my nerve compression much less when I'm laying down perhaps? Maybe this would help explain the fact I have a little more control of my ankle and toes while laying down? Was hoping someone else out there has any of the same experiences but I can't find anything searching the internet either. I wish I could just wake up and this all was just a bad dream. I'm sure we all feel this way though.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,816
    I think it's a valid question to ask your doctor what the difference upright vs lying down could mean. I used to have almost zero pain lying down vs a lot standing up the knife would begin to dig in moment I stood. Asked docitor they said Gravity and those disks can withstand the force of it now that they are damaged.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Long story short:
    Raging pain in hips,butt, thighs and feet when standing.
    NHS standard MRI showed nothing.
    Went private and paid £1100 for a standing MRI which showed L4-5 completely squished and crushing nerve roots.
    Result - fusion surgery 6 weeks ago. All that pain now gone. Still recovering from surgery mind.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.