Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

picture framerppicture framer Posts: 1
edited 03/16/2015 - 9:50 PM in Pain Medications
I was looking for information about Lyrica, and stumbled upon this site. Just recently, about 4 days ago, I felt some burning, pain sensation at the right side in the back of my neck, just about where the skull meets the spine. I was rubbing the spot without paying much attention, and I was driving. In couple of hours, after I came home, I started feeling actual pain, instead of the sensation, which had now spread from that spot down along the muscle to the base of the neck where it meets the shoulder, and upward, over to the top of my head, only on the right side of the scalp, behind the right ear, etc. By the bedtime, around 11:00 pm, I was having - not headache, but pain, real, sharp, throbbing pain, at the spot near the intersection of the center line on the scalp and an imaginary line from upper tip of my ear to the center line, only to the right side though. It felt as if somebody was either stabbing with an ice pick, or drilling a hole in the scalp with a drill. Uptill then, I didn't know how a head ache ever felt. I am 66 years old, I never, ever had a headache, for any reason. I took couple of 200 mg. Ibeuprophen (spelling...!!) and was finally able to sleep around 5:00 am. Woke up around 9:30 am, with same pain. I did some googling and research on internet, and matched the symptoms. What I found was that I might have been experiencing Occipital Neuralgia. So I had to go see a medical professional at an urgent care facility, on Saturday. They were not sure about Occipital Neuralgia. They prescribed some Percocet and asked me to go to ER, and recommended a CT Scan. Well, Percocet (Oxycodone, as a substitute, I took one that night) didn't do anything, although Ibeuprophen did relieve pain. Sunday night, I had CT scan done, which turned out to be nothing. The doctor at ER, referred me to a Neurologist. Today, Monday, March 16th, I saw the neurologist. She confirmed Post Occipital Neuralgia, and prescribed Lyrica. I will be taking my first dose tonight at bed time, and see what happens. But I was curious as to how long will it take to relieve the pain. Hence, this site, and this Lonnnnnng story. I am not sure if this is the right forum for this condition, but I just followed the Lyrica. I apologize if this is not the right place. Although, I am still curious, will I be able to sleep!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I just started lyrica 2weeks ago for mysterious pains at the base of my skull into my neck which were causing numbness into my forearms amd hands. Now the difference is that I do suffer from horrible daily headaches, which seems to be the difference other than my are on the left side. These pains however are completely different from my typical daily headaches . ,y neurologist put my on Lyrica to see if it would make a difference. While it hasn't made a significant difference with the pain, the numbness has seem to decrease some. I feel at this time I should say that I am also on 1800mg of gabapentin twice a day as part of my headache prevention regiment, among others. My dose for the Lyrica was started at 100mg at night for one week then increased to 100mg twice a day for another week. When I contacted my neurologist about the only minimal changes he increased it to 200mg at night for a total of 300mg a day, which I will start tonight.
    When I first started taking it I was having what felt like an irregular heartrate, but when I would check my pulse it would be normal(though elevated for me) however I was also placed on a new diabetes medication as well which was droping my blood sugar drastically, and has since been reduced, so I am unaware if it was actually the lyrica or the glipizide. Guess I will never actually know.

Hopefully the Lyrica will help for you. Best of luck with your headaches as well as the neck pain. When they did the CT was it of ur neck as well or just ur brain? If they never scaned ur neck I would look into that as well just to be safe.