Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Went to doctor and he doesn't think i have slipped disc and never suggested a scan...now what?!

I went to the doctor this morning and explained that i was having moderate pain in my lower back. I told him that the pain was worse when I went sprinting/running a week ago on the sunday, i felt sick and lightheaded that evening, but since then i have been doing core strengthening exercises combined with hyper extension for my lower back and the pain has subsided a lot, almost to the point of no pain at all.

I still get occasional lower back pain, but it is very mild. I am wondering now, because he never suggested a scan or x-ray, what should i do? The thing is, if it is a herniated disc and i don't have a scan, going back to exercise with weights and running may make it worse, and if that happens, i have to then return to the doctor again and i may damage my back even further. the thing is, he is the best doctor at the practice and is very thorough, so i know that i can trust his judgement for the most part.

I cannot force him to give me a mri scan, especially considering the costs of scans. I am not in considerable pain and discomfort with it, so i am not sure what i should do. He personally thinks it could be a lower back strain/sprain/pull (whatever you call it) and told me to continue taking pain killers (co-codamol) and performing the back & core exercises. He was going to give me some exercises to do, but i told him it is okay as i have been getting better with the exercises i have been using from the internet.

I am on a budget at the moment and i am trying to save as much money as possible, so i didn't particularly want to pay out a fortune on chiropractic examinations and physiotherapy sessions. I know these would be useful, but the costs are a lot and i can't afford it at the moment.

What, in your opinion/s, do you think i should do? Do i continue to exercise gradually and moderately without going too crazy and monitor the pain to see how much it increases, if at all? I really think i would go insane if i couldn't exercise at least moderately ha ha.

• Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 03/18/2015 - 3:52 AM
    ....but he is indeed Human and there is always a chance of something being missed.....When in doubt, get a second opinion, regardless of what you think of your Doctor. What if you have something serious going on that he missed during his physical examination? It can go from bad to worse very quickly, especially if you're doing exercises you've found online ?????

In my opinion, you seem to be in denial to some degree. Your Doctor is good, so no need for further testing. Yet here you are (filled with uncertainty) with unanswered questions on a forum asking us for advice. You don't want to spend money, but you want ALL the answers. If you want definitive answers, you're going to have to spend some money, my Friend. If your Doctor was as thorough as you say he is, he would have absolutely sent you for further diagnostic testing just to make sure. There are Xrays, MRI's, CAT scans, EMG/SSP's, bone scans, myelograms, etc... available for a reason! This is your life. Take control. Go through the proper channels to rule in or out everything.

The bottom line is this; if you want a definite result, put the financial thought to rest and proceed forward with at least an Xray to start. An Xray is NOT going to put you in the poor house. You simply cannot put a price on your health. Do you want to get better or worse? If you don't start putting your health before your finances, the end result just might make you wish you would have invested some money in yourself.

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Most people I know, who weren't in an accident, started their spine journey by going to their GP, being properly examined, being told it was muscular & walking out the door with some antiinflamatory & muscle relaxant prescriptions. In my experience this is true in England & USA. Most times it is muscular!!!
    If it's not improving in a week or so go back & ask for more. I made the mistake of taking my GPs diagnosis as written in stone & suffered, making things worse, for too long.
    My GP had me wobble up on my toes, it felt a bit better, I was told it couldn't possibly be spine. It was muscle. My disc was herniated crushing my S1 nerve root. I now have permanent nerve damage there. No matter how good a GP is they can't be sure from a physical exam. If it doesn't improve fast start pushing for diagnostics.
    This all started for me a long time ago but from what I read & hear things haven't changed much. Advocate for yourself is the best advise I can give. Good luck.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.