Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I feel like I've found a support group!

kcmitchell1231kkcmitchell1231 Posts: 2
edited 03/17/2015 - 5:30 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
I just found this website and am relieved to know others are experiencing the same daily obstacles and misery that I am. It's been really hard for my husband to understand how severe and limiting the pain is. I've had "symptoms" for years, however, never felt like I could explain it well enough and never knew what kind of doctor to see/tell. I've tried various Chiropractors over the years - nothing. Tried physical therapy once - it was a joke (paid a $30 copay to "workout" which at the time I had been doing regularly). As much as the "pain" used to be very present, it was more like discomfort....until about two months ago. I'm 36 and 6 months postpartum. Abruptly, I began having severe muscle spasms at all times of the day (although significantly worse at night). I got a same day apt. at my doctor's office, but saw someone I don't normally see. Right away, she diagnosed it and sent my to a PT office that specializes in Friction Therapy. Talk about torture! But, he explained to me, in detail, what and why i'm having these issues. He "stretches" and massages (deeply) the muscles to try and relax them so that my pelvis could settle back in its rightful position. Twice now, he's done "trigger point dry needling" to speed up the muscle relaxation. The first session which was on my hip and back didn't seem to do anything. I actually felt worse later that night. The second session (this past Friday) covered my thigh. I could feel the release on those muscles pretty quickly, however, overall, I'm still in the same boat - still pain and muscle spasms, not nearly as often. Not sure if I believe in the dry needling yet.

So...after about 6 weeks and about 10 PT apts., I feel *better. I feel like the stretching, the deep massaging of the muscles, the core exercises, and the SI Lock Belt (which I can't decide is really doing anything but I'll keep trying) are helping. I'm really trying to be diligent so that I can get through this and come out on the other side, get back to being able to do some cardio work and pick up my chunky 6 month old without looking like a 90 year old woman.

If things don't get much better soon, my PT suggested a cortisone shot. I feel like that's just a temporary pain fix. He explained that while in a way, yes, it would be - it also gives my body a chance to feel good so that i could work harder at strengthening the muscles and ligaments (i.e. working out) so that we can get out of the loosy, goosy-ness of the ligaments and inflammation which is causing all the problems.

I'll be sure to check back in and see if there are other avenues I've not yet tried. I think I speak for all of us when I say I pray daily that there is a way for fix this so that we don't live with it forever!

• Hi kcmitchell1231!

I'm 27, have been dealing with SI joint dysfunction for 1 year and 7 months. I have tried steroids shots (two rounds), regular physical therapy (2 months twice a week) , ART, and platelet rich plasma injections (one round) . Everything helped me for some period of time or helped reducing my pain, but all the symptoms and pain came back after a while. I think it was because everything was trying to help the symptoms and not the root of the problem itself.
    After trying so many things, I started feeling super frustrated and sad, because it actually interfere with all the aspects of my life.... but the good news is that I finally found a great therapist!!! she is a Physical therapist with a degree in Kinesiology that uses Pilates as rehab. Her approach is helping me A LOT! because she is focus in how I move and how i use my body, and is trying to fix the movement patterns that provoke my muscle imbalances (All that names like SI joint dysfunction, piriformis syndrome, etc are examples of muscle imbalances). Now I feel a lot better, I'm not "normal" but since week 1 with her I have noticed a huge reduction on my pain and discomfort.

So my advice is : find a doctor or therapist on kinesiology, someone that understands about movement patterns and muscle imbalances. SI pain will not disappear on its own...but hold on to HOPE. Never give up. Full recovery from SIJD is possible :)

- Dani
  • Hi KCMitchell!

I know exactly what you have been going through. I was diagnosed with SID 15 years ago. Although I lnow I had I for many years until a proper diagnosis!

I feel it's a tricky conditions to treat. I am type 1 diabetic with stage 3 chronic kidney disease which makes steroid injections and NSAIDs ... Not an option. My PM limits the injection to severe flare ups only. When the risks of the steroids are worth the elevated blood sugar levels as uncontrolled pain also raises blood sugar.

I have done the physical therapy, SI belt, massage therapy, water thetapy.. Pilates.....and "strengthen that core!!! " chants from every PT I've ever worked with.

It is a never ending cycle that can be so frustrating.! It throws off your entire body it seems. It causes my lower back to feel like it's on fire when I walk or stand...ache when you sit. Hurt like heck when you stand up. Even moving my leg to press on the gas or brake sends pain through my groin. And let's see....chronic hip bursitis is another lovely bonus! I also have DDD which adds to the mix .

I wish I could tell you that I've had a full recovery. But this has become my new normal! Since its chronic all I can do is manage it. I have a great PM that works with my other doctors to help me manage my pain!

I think if I had been properly diagnosed when I was younger I could have had a better outcome for myself! In fact, when I was first diagnosed I could hardly find anything on the Internet about SID. But no one understands what you are going through more than me! I am glad you've found this support group as am I!

Good luck and keep is updated on your progress!
    Have a magical day!