Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Husband Experienced Admissions Neglect; Pain Mngt In-Patient Treatment

Hello; this is my husbands phone, and since I noticed he just started on this site, I'm hoping to get opinions.
Over the last several months, he has expressed his desire to get off of opiates. He has been on strong opiates for 8 years maybe. I could find the names, but know he was on OxyContin for a while (I think 80 milligram), and a new but strong one - and benzodiazepines.
I have welcomed this, and am very happy to see him proactively doing this. I have asked his opinion for at least 2 years, but I know his pain is bad from a cyst in his spinal cord, herniated discs and related procedures over the years.
He works hard to support me and his 9 mo. old daughter, and he finally sees he can do this without the medication. I know this has to be his choice.
So he found a treatment center in Oregon he really liked, and 2 days ago waited for a call all day. Which he never received. He felt insurance would cover at least some - I think the $20,000+ cost of many deterred him.
Because they didn't call, like they said (within 24 hours) he ACTUALLY CALLED BACK, which surprised me.
I listened (I don't know if he knows), but what I heard, then what he told me is that: he called, and said he did not get a call back so wanted to check on this, and the status of his insurance. He seemed to 'move' the conversation forward, but I heard: we don't have an exact number, but they said "but you do have very good insurance coverage." I then heard him say, "OK. Well have a good day."
WHAT?! I quickly asked. He said after the 'good insurance,' he said nothing and just paused as if the call was over. No mention of another call, maybe waiting on insurance. NOTHING.
I called back right away. I didn't know if he was 'denied' or something else happened. But NO - she took my ins info (same plan, of course), and just said 'no problems.'
I'm in the Mental Health field and I am shocked and upset. On their website, it says 'we know making a call to see treatment is a very [delicate] first step, so we have compassionate admissions counsellors who understand this.'
He is seriously de-motivated now and did not want to call any more - much less look at any more websites. He still says he wants to go, but I'm now worried it will 'fade away,' and I want him to feel that he's in the drivers seat, so to speak. He is a business man, and does not tolerate people who do not keep their word, are aloof, etc. If they called, I know he would not go there regardless. He feels that he was treated poorly and with negligence - and I agree - but fear now he won't continue.
I asked to soeak with a manager but they just said 'write a letter, and be as detailed as possible.'
What should I do? I'm still in disbelief and feel terrible for him as this is the FIRST place he found and called on his own. Not a great 1st impression to the 'world of treatment.'
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
advertisement