Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello! 3 level cervical fusion with myelopathy here. :) I seem to be on the path of no return...dar

lilahwlilahw NY Posts: 19
edited 03/27/2015 - 11:15 AM in New Member Introductions
I have recently started to become educated about what I'm going through and decided the best place to vent and feel less alone is a place like this.
I have a long standing history of injury but nothing serious until a few years ago. I have been through the ringer with the medical community.
I presented in what I believe to be a classic presentation, but because I had fasciculations, the original neurologist dismissed the MRI findings and started looking for neurologic disease.
You can read my post about fasciculations if you really want the long story...
I have cervical myelopathy due to 3 herniated discs , 2 that actually compressed the cord, at c5/6 c6/7 and c7/8 osteophyte spurs and reversed kyphosis. sublaxation at c4/5. Woohoo!! :)
The operative notes from my acdf surgery stated the discs and ligaments had calcified.
They removed the calcified stuff and used 3 grafts, titanium plates and 12 screws.
I consider myself bionic now...lol.

I am 35. A mother of 3 (ages 3,4 and 13). Have always been in good shape and active. Did work full time as a natural gas technician but in June of 2013 had this injury and have been out on comp ever since. Prior to that I had a pulling fall injury that blew out my Shoulder in 2011. I believe my herniations started then and acutely ruptured in June 2013 when the myelopathy started. I also believe I went through a period of cord shock in the weeks that followed and then became hyperflexic.
Hoping I can get back to work fulltime light duty before June or my awesome union contract goes...poof!! Wish me luck. Lol. Things aren't looking so good about that... My physical therapist is thinking it's very doubtful and we are just starting to work on balance and gait. He is working from the bottom up and my neck doesn't tolerate much more than passive motion yet. I was in a hard collar for 3 months. I am just finally starting to come to terms with the idea that my life might not be the same and I may lose my job. I have been in denial. Not being able to push my weight onto a 6" step has been a real eye opener for me. I guess I have a long road ahead and am very uncertain about the future.
I'm here to connect with other people that have gone through the similar thing.
I've decided to be my own best advocate and make these Dr.s listen. I have been appalled at the medical community and thankfully found a good surgeon and am pushing to get questions answered. I am also pursuing to establish a relationship with a new neurologist that I see next week and have come to realize my surgeon is only good at fixing the broken pieces, but not long term care or continuing problems.
I might write a book...haha.
nice to meet everyone.
cheers to our health and wellbeing