Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dr writes specific pharmacy on scripts now. Is that common?

Tink1982TTink1982 Posts: 9
edited 03/27/2015 - 8:47 AM in Pain Medications
I have been seeing same PM doctor for 15 years. Just 3 years ago started taking oxymorphone 10 mg 4x a day for DDD with osteophtes, SI joint Dysfunction, and IC /PBS. I Have always used the same pharmacy since I've been his patient. I went to pick up my script a couple of months ago and it said on the script "can only be filled at CVS at xxxx address ". This is not my pharmacy so I had them quickly write a new script for me with the correct pharmacy as the one I use orders this medication for me as there have been supply issues in the past.

This was the first time he specified a pharmacy on my prescription. Is this now a common practice? I am just curious and I've had trouble filing it in the past due to "lack of raw materials" ( is what the head pharmacist told me).

I see my doctor next month for regularly scheduled visit. I was going to ask him about it just because there is supply issues sometimes. Before specifying a pharmacy on a prescription, I had to take one script to another pharmacy once because mine had none of that medication available. I called his office that day to tell them I used another pharmacy because mine had no idea when they would get any of the medicine in.

Have a magical day!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I'm not sure what.... "filing it in the past due to lack of 'raw materials' "...... means.
    About where do you live for having script ordering specific pharmacy? I am in Chicago area and I never heard of it.

Like you, I agreed to only use one pharmacy and that is no problem...but never written on script.
    But you know, sometimes so difficult to keep up with all the changes with medical care.
    Doctors probably have more work to do to cover themselves.....and then insurance gets involved telling doc what med he can no longer use to treat his patient.
    Sometimes things start happening in different part of the States..or the world...so maybe your pharmacy on script is sign of things to come....I don't know . Sur e seems like more work for doc and open door for more confusion and mistakes...like the one you caught.
    Keep us posted on what your doctor has to say!
    Take care :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Tink1982TTink1982 Posts: 9
    edited 03/27/2015 - 11:15 AM
    The pharmacist said he could not get the medication because the salesman or whomever he orders from said that the company who makes the medicine did not have the raw materials to make the medication. So in essence every pharmacy would have had trouble getting it. I was able to only get a partial fill at a different pharmacy. That was in December. No problems since.
    I live in Illinois.
    I will let you know what doctor says.
    Have a magical day!
  • Don't feel alone I have to check a head when I get my prescription for Endocet. I am allergic to other Generic's
    of Percocet. For the last two months I have not been able to get my pills at the pharmacy I go to. They said
    the warehouse was out, I had to seriously call 13 pharmacy's to find one that had the Endocet. I always tell
    my Doctor when I have to go to a different one and get this the last time they were short 15 and would not
    give them to me when they came in.
    I never experienced the bit about writing on the Prescription though gee one thing after another right?
    Good luck
  • The pharmacy that I use has been out of 15mg generic MS Contin three times in the last seven months...I have to list the pharmacy that I will use, and the dr does not write where I must go. If my pharmacy is out, I just find another on my own and notify them after the fact for the info to be put in my file...nothing more comes of it. Each time they were out, I had to call a minimum of 17 pharmacies before I could find one...and one time I called 22

I am so stressed out each time my Rx is due dreading what may happen ...I am just so fed up with the whole process and only have 25 more years to deal with it...but you have to keep your mouth shut at the pharmacy because the won't foil it and may call your doctor...and you have to keep your yap shut at the dr office and play the game because they will kick you out and blackball you if you call them on anything they don't like

What will you do when your pharmacy is out and it's after doctor hours or on the weekend...oh h### no that would not wash with me...I will bet my last dollar that is no law...maybe the dr is getting a kickback under the table from the pharmacy

You need to ask some serious direct questions on your next visit...that is a bunch of crappola
    Good luck
  • I know in both my PM contracts I had to specify a pharmacy. Overall, I believe it's to stop pharmacy shopping. But I got to pick my pharmacy so it's a little weird that the doctor picked for you. My insurance is only taken at one major chain so that wouldn't fly with me.

However, yesterday I had to fill my muscle relaxer but I'm out at school, forty minutes from home. All I did was call my PM office and they said that was fine if I filled at the chain in my college town rather than my hometown. But it is kind of odd that he just wrote the pharmacy on there. Doctors often want you to use one pharmacy but usually they let you pick which one.
  • KelsiedeeKKelsiedee Posts: 32
    edited 03/28/2015 - 10:37 AM
    Well my comment about pharmacy shopping only meant that seekers will often use multiple pharmacies and multiple prescriptions. Some people get away with not using insurance and paying cash. If a patient is only using one pharmacy, the chances of seeing abusive behavior are higher. But obviously you don't have that issue. I just meant that's why they prefer one pharmacy. But again, it is odd that your doctor went about it that way.
  • Kelsiedee,

I am sorry! I understood what you meant by your comment! I was just making the point that using a different pharmacy would be very diffulct because I know I could not afford to pay the full price for even the generic! And since we've had many discussions on affording treatment s like injections and scheduling them to help with the deductible/coverage and even how expensive they co-pay was on the brand name ER. So I doesn't make sense to me why he would do that ...period! But you are so right! We pay the price for those people who do that!

I've leaned so much about human behavior after I started taking pain medication. I literally cried the first time I was asked to do a drug test at his office! I felt like a criminal. So that is why it's so nice to talk to people who are in the same boat and understand!

Have a magical day!
  • Thank you all for your support! I am so glad I found this group!

I would not care if I was getting a medication that was more common and kept in stock!

I have had to jump through so many hoops to be able to get this medicine it's just so disheartening !

I have to say my PM has always been more than helpful. When I started on this medication I was on the ER. Those were also difficult to find. I know his office called several pharmacies in town to ask them to stiock them because his other patients were having trouble filling their scripts as well.

And when I took my son out of state to do his internship at Disney, he wrote me an additional script for the IR at the same dosage until I got back home because he said I could not fill a script out of state. And on my next visit 4 months later I told him the new script seemed to help more without break through pain, so he switched me to the IR. That saved me a ton of money each month since there was no generic for Opana ER.

He was very happy with the fact it saved me money and worked much better.

I did ask the nurse why he was specifying a pharmacy on the scripts now and she said its just something he is doing now. He was on vacation this week and the doctor who filled my new script did the same thing. Maybe it's just their new office policy?

My insurance would not authorize me filling another script before the 30 days so not sure how that would prevent someone from pharmacy shopping?

It puzzles me as you all have said...it's just another obstacle. Leaves me scratching my head because he's always been a doctor that has always helped.
    Have a magical day!
  • Believe me, I completely understand the scrutiny! I hate going to my pharmacy at 22 years old and being looked at like a drug addict. It's exhausting and a little demeaning. Luckily my PM doctor is awesome and will only test when suspicions arise.
  • Went to see dr today and asked him why he's adding a specific pharmacy to his scripts. He said it was to prevent people from using multiple pharmacies. He also acknowledged the fact that these meds are not always in stock and all I had to do what call his office and they could verbally ok using a different pharmacy over the phone if my pharmacy was out of the medication.

He said this is now a standard practice in his office for all his patients.
    Have a magical day!
  • Hope3HHope3 Posts: 751
    edited 04/23/2015 - 5:54 AM
    That is so crazy if my Doctor did that he would have to wait until I found my Endocet
    and I cannot imagine it takes me calling around to up to 20 pharmacy's to find them
    for the past 4 months something to do with the manufacture.
    At my last apt. I told my doctor that I had to go to a different place to fill it and he goes oh
    no big deal but thanks for telling me.
    I always tell him even if he does not care and I notice on my medical record where they list
    the pharmacy there is not note of it.
    It just gets more complicated and adds to so much already stress right.
    Take care Sherri