Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My story

OI8T12OOI8T12 Posts: 44
edited 03/28/2015 - 11:37 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all. My name is Ken, and I have lower back and neck problems. I'm 58 years old, and I'm not as strong as I use to be. I just had an MRI of my neck last week and the news is not good, I need a 4 - level ACDF fusion from C3 -C7. I met with a surgeon this past Thursday, and I was told the bad (good?) news about my cervical area. He wants to set up a date for surgery right away. I should hear from his office on Monday. I also have a friend who works at one of the best hospitals in Boston, and he wants me to meet with his surgeon.

I always believe in second opinions for major surgery, so that's what I'm going to do. I meet with this surgeon on Wednesday of next week. he has seen my x-rays and my MRI. I have already spoke to this surgeon by phone and he has confirmed that I need this surgery. I have never met this surgeon, but my friend that works with him will see that I get the best care possible. My friend happens to be an anesthesiologist . I know I'll be in great hands in the Boston hospital should I choose to have my surgery there. All I have to do is meet and like this surgeon, and I probably will choose him for my surgery. My symptoms are, pain in my neck, arms (both sides) and my hands. My MRI showed moderate to severe spinal stenosis, bone spurs, bulging discs. I'm in moderate to severe pain most of the time, But I had to deal with it when I had my lumbar problems.

I'm not new to back surgery as I had a laminectomy/discectomy on my L5-S1 lumbar region in 1991. Almost 24 years ago. The surgery was pretty much a success until about five years ago. I need to take care of my neck, and then I need another MRI for my lumbar region. I'm in pretty good spirits most of the time, but I need to get through this surgery soon. I know this will probably be harder on me than my lumbar surgery, but I'll get through it somehow. I know there are many people out there that are much worse off than I am. Thank you for reading and please post any questions or comments.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 03/28/2015 - 3:38 PM
    ....sounds great!
    Getting along...understanding where the doctor is coming from is a huge part of the battle.

It's understandable to have some concern about the unknown.....how will this surgery be different than the lumbar?.....after this need to look forward to another lumbar surgery....will it be the same ? or not because I'm older and not as strong..

And truly, we can't compare that others are worse than ourselves or not. We only have the experience of our own bodies and the responsibility to do what is best to care for ourselves. Caring for ourselves takes nothing away from another...in fact can help us to be more understanding. And pain is pain! Doesn't much matter where it's coming from...if someone is hurting..they are hurting!

Not only confidence in doc, hospital, etc...taking care of you, but your positive attitude will help you greatly with your healing... I think. :). It seems your beginning on your surgery needs for your body are lining up well.
    Please keep us posted with how you are doing.

We are here to share in your good news..not so good news...and also the ups and downs in which any of us could or would go .through. Most of live the ups and downs....or to speak for myself, I do....so it not too difficult to relate.
    Keep in touch. :)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Savage, thanks for checking in. Thank you for your words of wisdom, and your thoughts on my situation. Your comment about pain is pain, gave me a little chuckle. My primary care physician always says that, so he's helping me deal with it the best he can. We don't always agree, but he's the doc. so I follow his orders. I will post more as this will be quite the journey, I'm sure. Thanks for writing, and I'll post more as I find out more. Take care. Ken