Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 Month Post Op L5 S1 Microdiscotomy Recovery Update

Good Morning All,
Wanted to provide an update and best practices now that I am 4 months post op.
I had MD of L5S1 on December 3rd.

I began PT one month after but began walking daily two days after surgery.
I have found staying mobile and active has been key to my recovery.
There have been days when my lower back and hip and glutes were tight, but I remained committed to stretching daily and icing consistently. I also got into a regimine of 2 aleve in the morning and 1 at night.

When I returned back to work, I got a lumbar support piece for my back to support proper posture. I also found that if I didn't get up every hour to walkand stretch I would endbeingin a lot of pain. The more I made getting up and stretching and icingduring thd day the more results I saw.

Ihad the chronic tightness in hip and glute, but I keep focus on my stretching andicing and mkae it a point to get a deep tissuemassage weekly to promote better rangeof motion and muscle recovery.

Ijust completed 3rd month of PT and have decided to stop. I began workingout about a month ago and wanted to keepdoingPT so I could inform my therapists of what I was doing and the pain I encountered when working out again.

This weeekend I ran 3.1miles straightwith my girflriend and justwoke up feelingfine. I have to saystaying focused and lllstening toyour body is supperimportant. I have tried to be very discplined with my recovery andapply modificationswhenI'm workingout to compensate for movementsI can'tdo.

Iplan to get a MRI 2 monthsfrom now to see how the disc and nerve are in the L5S1are.

I wish you all the best and can't stress enought the below.

Stretch your glutes, hips, hamstrings and lower back daily
Keep active walk everyday 1mile-2miles is a great goal
Ice and advile as needed
If working fromoffice get up every 1hrmax to walkaroundand stretch
Foam Roll FoamRoll your hip and ITband will thank you

All the best!

• EmmyallydrewEEmmyallydrew Posts: 1
    edited 04/02/2015 - 4:12 AM
    Happy to hear you are having a smooth recovery. How long before you were able to run again, and has your spine started to fuse yet? I am 7 weeks post op of a L5S1 fusion and at my six week post op the X-ray showed that my spine has not started to fuse yet. My goal is to be able to run again, does it feel any different running after a fusion?

Sorry for all the questions.