Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dreams and Pain

Do you ever dream about your pain?
I tried a drug I have tried two times before and had some negative side effects but
never like this. Then again maybe it is due to the pain I am in, my mental state or did I read something
like that somewhere I had the strangest dream.
I was laying flat on my back and walking in soft little slippers on my upper back, there were the seven
dwarfs (from Sleeping Beauty) putting tubes in my back and pumping out some dark
liquid using miniature bicycle pumps. It felt wonderful and was so real and I did have
a dream once sort of like that.
Alright do I need to see a head Doctor or what? They say dreams mean something so I try
to figure it out why would I dream them doing it. Pain, Pain and more Pain !
Go a head I opened up and want comments for sure. You have to admit that is pretty
crazy, but let me assure you I am not there yet, just almost.
So how about you have you ever dreamed about your pain?

• clwinbecclwinbe Posts: 30
    edited 03/31/2015 - 7:32 PM
    I have regular dreams about being tortured. I am screaming during , and after a profound depression. The methods used in my dreams are horrific, such as someone slowly pushing their fingers through the flesh and ripping the spine out. It may be the combination of drugs I take, but it makes me dread bed.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    great to breakdown as to why they occurred and what they mean. You could spend hours and hours just trying to do this.

Many times, I write down what my dream(s) were all about.

Then its the Nightmares! Those are the ones, I dont want to write down, but several of them seem to keep coming back in one form or another. I think for the most part, my nightmares deal with pain , suffering and death. The worst though comes when I see myself dying. That is the hardest to take. Some people say, you should have nightmares about that, but it is what it is.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have those nightmares that make you glad to wake up and also
    so relieved it is just that.
    clwinbe How terrible though to feel what you feel
    getting your spine tore out, I can imagine why you would not want to
    Ron it is interesting to look at the dreams and nightmare's I never
    thought about writing them down. There are so many though
    that do relate to something going on in life. For instance the issues
    I am having right now trying to find relief for this pain, I think that
    is why I dreamed about the Dwarfs they took at least the upper back
    pain away.
    The ones I hate to wake up from are the ones I am in a place or
    with someone I enjoyed and it is gone. You wished you could go back
    to sleep and start where you left off.
    That would be tough dealing with death, I have never done that and
    don't want to. But I have dreamed of other's and woke up sobbing.
  • PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    One of my best friends is an eminent psychologist in the field of sleep and dream states. Lemme me promise you, if you want to lose all interest in dreams as him about them!
    I never had great dreams in the past but I had some weird sleep issues my friend helped me address, a sort of sleep paralysis. Now, since starting morphine in late December my dreams, for the most part, are excellent! Much better than TV or books! My nightmares are terrifying- I'd love them if they were movies but I do NOT want them going on in my head alone!

Whenever something is big in my life my dream world takes it in. Years ago when I had anorexia I had horrible dreams that I had eaten something forbidden and I was going to get fat! Later with the OCD I had nightmares of starting to clean and just rubbing in my germs and contaminants. And with Celiac Disease I'll often awaken questioning if I really did eat that cake!
    The added thrill in my dreams and nightmares is that I am just as disabled in my dreams as I am daily. I won't be able to run away because of the pain or numbness, the pain in my back will cause me to be unable to lean down well enough to hide.

So it's about time to discuss this with my friend again because in the past he has taught me how to change my dreams so I will be powerful in the dream and I have magic powers. Anybody can change the tone of a dream by thinking about it before falling asleep. Tonight I'd like to dream about horses and chocolate. Let's see how this turns out!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • I never dream about my back condition. Just once I had a dream that I had inguinal hernia lol. I woke up all sweaty :))
    I usually have nice dreams like swimming in the sea or walking with my gf and dogs, nice stuff like that. And Im never in pain in my dreams.
  • Oh I had my first dream of death and that was not good. The new medication for nerve pain
    sent me in the ground trying to claw my way out. That one was not good and the second night no dreams so that was good.
    Sorry you experience that I never want to again.