Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 months after fusion

Had a 7 level fusion, T4 -T10. From a fall at work, Doctor said I was really lucky i was not paralyzed. But now 4 months later, Back still is numb. And feel a lump or a bump that dont like pressure put on it. Still in a good bit of pain. Like everyone, putting shoes on is hard. So now, I had a vist with the doctor. And he said everything he did looks good. As far as he is concerned, he does not need to see me anymore. At 4 months, this is as good as I will be, pain and all. Did not release me to work, but said I should seek a desk job...? Im a carpenter? Been one all my life. Im a young and active 50 year old, or was one. The pain i told him is the same as before surgery. He said he was hopping for the better, but with my injury,... This is it. Not the news I wanted to hear. im just beside my self? It was like by, and thank you. Told the nuse to file my case and If I needed anything, just call. But there really is nothing he can do. Now he does sound like he is not a good doctor. But he is, one of the best. Just that everyone has a different injury and recovery. Im just venting, not a happy camper. but i can walk.
Greg fisher
advertisement

Comments

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 582
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I understand exactly what you say about work. I was also injured at work. I had 2 neck fusion surgeries. My surgeon told me I'll never be able to return to my profession. I'm 53 & I've been a Hospice aide for over 30 years. I am physically unable to return to any type of work now, but I am still thinking about what future jobs I can be qualified for?
    My only suggestion I would have for you is to see if your surgeon can refer you to a pain management doctor? That's what my surgeon did for me? I wish you well & good luck in your journey.
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 165
    Motor 1, If you hurt youself at work is workers comp helping you out? Retraining? Or did they just settle with you and say by.
    Greg fisher
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 582
    I am still receiving temporary disability. I had to hire an attorney because comp wasn't paying me the correct benefits. I was cleared by my surgeon to work in the office, just answering phones. My work decided 2 months after that, they were laying me off. Then 3 months later, they terminated my position. I've been off work since.
  • It sounds like you should consult with a lawyer who specializes in disability and workman's comp injuries. I can't imagine a desk job would be any good for you at this point either. I bet your doctor is good but his communication skills sound harsh. Its probably going to take a lot longer than four months to feel better. I'm glad you're not paralyzed! I met a guy who had a similar fusion and became a yoga instructor. Doctors told him he was lucky to be walking. Not saying you should be a yoga instructor, but there is plenty of hope that your life will improve with time and PT. Don't give up. But a career change might be necessary. I feel so bad for you. I only had a two level fusion and am still struggling with my desk job and am thinking about a career change. Maybe teaching. PS. Another guy I know was an electrician and had to end up on disability. He opened a little store in his wife's name and just manages that now. Good luck and try to stay positive.
advertisement