Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Bulge - Weightlifting and life change questions

I've been reading around on the forum and in general regarding my recent injury and I decided it might be easier to ask the direct questions in relation to my case.

I was doing pause squats a month ago and a sharp pain shot through my lower back. Form was good and I am fairly young (24)

After yesterday's MRI it turns out I have a disc protrusion (bulged) on L3/L4, L4/L5 and L5/S1 with a depth of 3mm (and my discs are "lowered" unnaturally, not sure what that implies)

Honestly, the pain has never been too much. At worst it was a 5 or 6/10 and mostly it is just some weakness in the lumbar region and occasional twinges sent to my left side. .

So, I was hoping to find out about my chances of getting back to normal

1) Will I ever be able to lift again? I never plan to be competitive but powerlifting has become a much enjoyed hobby of mine
2) Given my pain levels and the "size" of the bulge, is there any chance this might get worse to the point of needing surgery?
3) Do the "weakened" walls of the disc heal?

Thanks for any and all help

• formerweightlifterfformerweightlifter Posts: 196
    edited 04/02/2015 - 2:17 PM
    im not a dr so can only give y experience. im around the same age, and also have a pwoerlifting background. i herniated my disc in 2008 dling. over time i reinjured it being stupid..throughout the years i was still able to lift. recently after doing some unknown injury to my legs/knees, my back pain is worse, and i havent lifted in a while. my most recent mri of lumar showed a pretty decent sized and degenerated herniation at l5 s1.
    lifting is important, but so is being able to walk without feeling like you're 90.
    if you do decide to lift, id just do bench and chinups. sucks not doing the other two lifts...but oh well.
  • the reason i dont bench is because i dont want to deadlift the 45s onto the bar. too much stress..even the 10s i have to bend down
  • Violander. With the correct care & attention there's no reason I know that bulging discs should turn into anything worse but I'm not a doctor. Have you considered physical therapy? It was great for giving me a good routine of exercises & stretches. They also stressed the limitations that I should adhere to.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.