Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

screw removal 3weeks after surgery

kimber1181kkimber1181 Posts: 3
edited 04/02/2015 - 7:38 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi I am new to the forum and posting on line really for anything but I am 33years old and had spinal fusion surgery at L4-L5 4 weeks ago. I had been complaining to my Dr since the beginning that I had pain down my leg and numbness in my groin. All my Dr kept saying is that it is normal and the surgery had went so well and the screws were placed in strong bone... How happy with my surgery he was. Last Thursday I had a medication appt with his nurse practitioner and I told her about what I had come to call my episodes... Severe pain in my groin to the point that I could not stand walk lay down. I didn't know what to do when it happened but cry and scream the pain was so bad. She said it could be normal... There was nothing normal about this... But she was ordering a CT just to be safe. My Dr called me Friday night and said that the right screw was out the side of my spine and on a nerve. I'm guessing my femeral nerve because of my symptoms but he never said. He told me to be in his office first thing Monday morning they were removing the right screw and not replacing it. He said that the left screw would be enough to get a fusion. He kept down playing everything and after surgery said that this only took about 30 min so it was kind of a non surgery. My pain seems worse but I was also only 3and a half weeks post op before they cut the same incision and went back in. Has anyone had revision surgery so close to there original fusion?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I dont know if there are others with a case similar to yours. But I think if I were you, I'd request a copy of all of the reports and imagiing that they did and keep your records up to date. I'm not saying there was any malpractice, but it sounds suspicious and I would want you to preserve the facts in case. Sounds like you are miserable and I'm sure this added surgery has had an affect on you.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • Well I didn't have the severity of symptoms you did and it wasn't as close to the original surgery, but I did have screws on one side removed due to continuing symptoms (lack of function of my left foot which was not there prior to surgery) about 3 months after my fusion. I was also told the single-sided screws would be enough, which I did my best to research. I came to the same conclusion based on my own, admittedly limited, ability to do some medical research.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. The increase in pain is definitely due to back to back surgeries (I had 4 in a 6 months time frame, so I am very familiar with this!) It takes an enormous toll on your body, and the fusion itself is a major surgery from a recovery standpoint.

I think I'm with Sarah about requesting your surgical records. I'm considering doing the same. I do trust my surgeon, but I went through A LOT last year and I think I'd like to have that info just in case.
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014
  • Thank you both! My Dr is a great surgeon and has been very supportive ... Feel up untill now. I felt rushed through the screw removal ... He apologized but never looked me in the eye while doing so. I still don't understand how a surgery he said went wonderful and so Happy whith changed so quickly . I would think that they would do an X Ray or something to make sure the screws were placed right. I was not aware of requesting surgical records.. Thank you Sarah for telling me. I have tried to do some research on line just not finding to much. I finally just thought I would post on here and see if anyone had Any experience with it. I don't really trust when he tells me what's normal or not anymore. I still have numbness in my right thigh and the skin on my left side of my butt still hurts to touch, also hurts to sleep on either hip for to long so I sleep in increments of about 3to 4 hours. I know it takes anywhere from 4-6 weeks for any pain from where the screw was on my nerve to go away so I guess it's just a waiting game now. Thank you both again.. Any input or information is helpful. Coltsfan that is ALOT of surgeries to go through... I hope that you are feeling better and getting some relief. I hope that we all get the relief that we need.
  • My doctors were wonderful. My bone was simply not strong enough and the left screw actually left screw marks in my femoral nerve. They removed that screw and all has been fine on that side.
  • Thanks Kimber! If it's any encouragement to you, I found a significant difference in the discomfort/pain occurred 6-8 weeks after surgery and I've heard others say the same. So it will get easier. You will be able to sleep again. I was beginning to wonder if I ever would, but now I usually do. I'm still dealing with lingering symptoms in my foot and I am trying to remain positive that I just need a lot more time to heal because I did go through a lot. So hopefully in time we'll both be back to more of a normal life. Hang in there!
    Left leg radiculopathy/sciatic pain
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - May 30, 2014
    L5/S1 microdiscectomy - Aug 14, 2014
    L5/S1 TLIF - Sept. 24, 2014
    Left-side screws/rod removed along with bone fragment Dec. 29, 2014