Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op recovery I over did itv

RobertbendallRRobertbendall Posts: 8
edited 04/09/2015 - 8:26 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hello everyone

I decided to write here because most of my google searches direct me to you and I received my microdiscectomy in Vietnam where my surgeon has given me highly inadequate advice.

I am on day 10 of my recovery after removing a l5/s1 herniation. The operation was a great success removing all of my back pain and just leaving me with occasional glimpses of sciatica. It was a simple operation.

I left hospital after 3 days and I was moving around freely. I limited myself in my walks so as to not over do it. I could have walked for more than an hour easily.

I did something very stupid and I hate myself for it. I had sexual intercourse 3 days ago. Now I can't believe I did. After I felt a dull feeling where my operation was and the incision hurt. I immediately iced it and ever since I have been in a poor state of mind thinking that I messed up the whole operation.

It wasn't painful but I just have a not pleasant feeling in that area and my back generally feels stiff and tender. I'm not confident in my walks like I was. after the activity I gave myself a nearly complete rest day the next day less so and today i went on a thirty minute walk but I've been resting ever since. I iced it first day and yesterday 3 times a day for 30 minutes and I got some volteral medicine. I haven't used ice today.

I'm resting a lot because I don't like the ache feeling. It's very scary for me as I haven't had this feeling post op. The dull numb feeling is getting better but the ache feeling is more apparent.

Is this a catastrophe? Have I undone the surgery ?

I feel so stupid because it was going so perfectly I totally knew I had to be careful but I was so pain free now it's tender and achy

Ps. My incision area hurts I think ice made that worse

There is nobody on the forum medically qualified to advice you, any responses will be from members personal experience

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Robert,

The information you seek is on this site in the information areas. From my experience, you need to take it VERY carefully for the first six weeks. No lifting anything heavier than a kettle of water, no bending your back and no twisting your back. This is to let your spine and the surrounding tissues settle down after the surgery which, whilst discribed as minimally invasive by most, is actually quite a shock to your body. I would suggest that you restart your six weeks of rest now. After six weeks you should start to gently remobilise, making sure you don't lift heavy weights. Swimming is generally a safe bet, so long as you don't try to churn the water to foam.

It is always best to get advice from a medical professional before resorting your physical activity. The above is just what I was advised during my recovery.

Hope that helps.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • RobertbendallRRobertbendall Posts: 8
    edited 04/11/2015 - 1:56 AM
    Thank you Steve

Your words were wisdom to my ears

It's feeling better everyday and I'm no longer in panic mode...just bored mode :)
  • FritzcrackerzFFritzcrackerz Posts: 246
    edited 04/11/2015 - 3:08 AM
    L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.