Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Seattle ScottSSeattle Scott Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have spondylosis, that shows as a bi-lateral pars fracture at L5. I have pretty much tried everything, but my PT has recommended prlotherapy. I went and saw the doc recommended by my PT and he said he believes prolo will help by strengthening the ligaments attaching to my L2- L5.

Of course, he charges $650 per session and I will need 4 sessions. My insurance will reimburse me 80%, but I have to do the paperwork myself. (The doc does not accept insurance).

Anybody try prolo? This is my last stop before having surgery to directly repair the pars fractures, so I am apt to give it a go. The money is not a big deal to me, but I kind of nervous about going under the floroscope again. I have had 4 rounds of ESIs all under floro, a cat scan and 2 sets of xrays in the last 4 years, so I am kind of nervous about the radiation.

• This has been discussed on the old spine-health board,here is a link to that thread http://messageboard.spine-health.com/viewtopic.php?id=17109
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i wish you the best of luck with your new treatments. see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • Hi,

I have had several sessions of prolotherapy and it was not the answer for me. However, I have met others who thought of it as a "miracle", so I hope it works well for you. Does your doctor offer sedation with the treatments?

• Yes, the doctor offers sedation - but I would pass. I have had several epidural steroid injections and all without sedation. Is that something you would recommend?

Also, what is your the source of your back problems? I can't believe prolo is a cure all.

thanks, scott
  • My husband had post-tibial tendonitis in his foot. He did prolotherapy as a last resort. He says it worked. While I'm sure his foot is not 100%, he is back to running 5 days a week and cycling, and is pain free. I'm not so sure about as a back treatment, tho. It's based on that fact that inflammation is a good thing, and it's your body's way of helping itself heal. He didn't do an sedation or anything. I think he paid cash for it, although I think Medicare paid for some of it.--Mazy
  • My prolotherapy was done for an unstable SI joint, which turned out to be a wrong diagnosis made by a physical therapist. Each session of prolotherapy consisted of about a dozen painful injections (the needle has to touch the bone) and several uncomfortable days afterward. I would not repeat that treatment without sedation, but everyone's pain threshold is different. Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do.
This discussion has been closed.