Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Opinions needed!!!

Frustrated101FFrustrated101 Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Greetings all,

Now that a DX has been found and my follow up is a week away, I need some ideas on how to approach my doc on getting a muscle relaxant into the mix.Just this last month I finally got some serious pain meds (Norco 10/325 x 120) after signing an intractable pain contract-it was more a formality as we have a long term relationship which leans towards very conservative- I get my first refill Wed and will see if he holds or not.
I have never been a drug seeker or even have so much as a speeding ticket in my 37 years.I treat meds as a very serious issue and respect them.My doc has always been a hard one to approach and yet I respect him as well for he helps me keep my diabetes in check and got me on the road to proper mental health treatment as well.I have terrible spasms and muscle tension that everyone from my PT to the gateway RN at our hospitals Spine program have seen.The RN's opinion is that muscle relaxants will do more harm than good and others have said they may help especially in conjunction with the norcos,massage and my daily stretches/ice packs.

How did you get your doc to get the right cocktail without being labeled or dropped?
This is a kind of frightening new world where I see chronic pain patients have to tread really lightly or get the boot sad to say.

• Interesting - I think alot of it has to do with the philosophy of the medical institution in which you are seeking care. I go to a doc at a spine center in a teaching hospital in a large city, and their philosophy is all about managing pain. Its not to say they hand out prescriptions willy-nilly but I do feel they listen and explore all options, from acupuncture and physical therapy to surgery, and everything in between, including medication options. I have a drawer full of meds that I have tried, some have worked, most have not, but I hang onto them in case the pain changes. Perhaps if you remind them that the goal is pain management, which is mostly trial and error, that may keep it in perspective (?)
  • The way I asked for my PM to add a muscle relaxant was a hard one for me too!!! My PM is very conservative and tries to keep me on a the lowest mgs. as possible, but I just told him the pain meds were taking the edge off the pain but I still had alot of muscle issues and spasms so he added Soma and that made such a difference! Go for it just ask! best of luck~

• The conversation should be a simple one with your doctor. "I have spasms and muscle tension that massages/etc aren't helping with. What can I do? Is there medicine that can help?"

Give your doctor the ball and let him/her run with it. If you think you need it, that's probably the best way.

Do you have a particular med in mind already?