Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Persisting pain after lumbar discectomy

ZidilZZidil Posts: 7
Hi everyone,
I have had the pleasure of reading so many personal stories here over the past few weeks. My narrative is also similar to most of yours and I can honesty say how relieved I feel to know that the pain I have felt every single day for the past year and a half is not an illusion. I am a 24 year old female. I have been active my entire life, from playing sports to casually running, to hula hooping to hot yoga to jumping for every photo that is taken of me. In the December of 2013, literally out of no where I began having pain in my left hip. It hurt everytime I took a step and felt as though it was similar to a cramp, perhaps a cyst on my ovaries. So that began my long journey to figure out exactly what is wrong with me. I started at a gynecologist and she wasn't able to find anything impressive. She put me on anti biotics, birth control and sent me on my way. Then the pain began getting worse, I went to a few emergency rooms...they ran ct scans, blood work, X-rays and nothing was seen. I would be given Percocet and sent my way. Around the middle of January my pain got a little better, so I said what the hell and continued with my regular life routine. I ran, hula hooped, I did hot yoga. In March the pain got a lot worse, and it was still mainly Around my hip area. An mri of my hip showed oestetis pubis. The sport medicine doctor called it a fractured bone and put me on crutches, along with selling me a bone stimulator. I was on crutches going to physical therapy for six weeks when I noticed my pain felt worse. It was aggravated by movement, especially stairs. I got a second opinion from a orthopedic surgeon who said there Is broken bone, drop the crutches and take some vitamin d. I was so frustrated, my parents flew me to turkey to be treated ad my uncles hospital. There the whole works was done. Every possible blood work. An MRI of my pelvis. At this point my pain began spreading On the left side of my body but never my back. IN turkey thand decided I have some type of rheumatology related disease which is causing all of this inflammation. So when I flew back to new York, I was put on embrel which is an immune system suppresser. Upon being On this for four weeks, the rheumatologist I was seeing told me that he felt like there was something mechanical Happening with my body. So I was sent for a back MRI in June 2014that initially showed a l5-s1 disc putrusion. I was then taken off th the embrel and sent to see a pain management doctor. I then began working with him and he did a totally of ten injections...a mix of epidural steriod, radio frequency, nerve blocks. While I went to a chirp for treatment.After working with him from June to January, I asked to have a repeated MRI which showed that the herniation had gotten bigger. During these months, my symptoms spread on my left butt, my hip, down my leg and under. When my doctor told me I was too young for any sort of surgery and he didnt think I was ready, I got a referral from my chiro. My surgeon then told me the lumbar micro discectomy, I was very excited. We scheduled it soon after. I am now seven days post surgery. My surgery site is healing up very well. But my leg still hurts. Doctor told my parents it went better than he hoped and the leg pain should be gone. I still have burning by my hip area. My family says my gait looks better, even my face looks like Im not In as much pain. Do you guys get pain on your upper thigh? Whenever I want to avoid laying on my butt, my thigh burns from the pressure. I also have pain by my knee. I'm okay with the back pain from the surgery but isn't the leg suppose to be better? This sort of feels like my last option, I have absolutely exhausted everything modern medicine has to offer so I'm really counting On this...

Thank you for allowing me to share my story, as its been a very daunting year and a half with misdiagnosis to last a lifetime. I'm really looking forward to hearing back from you guys
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

IMPORTANT

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

dilauro

liz

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

awalsh

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,960
    I have not had spinal surgery myself...but seven days post op is not much time at all.
    Easier said than done, but try to be patient with healing process. Being anxious and tense doesn't help anything.

Good communication with doctor very important every step of the way. But I go back to seven days post op ... you need more time.
    Take care not to over do activities and follow any of doctors limitations for a full recovery.

Keep us posted and you're not alone. Someone may come along who has shared the experience of surgery.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History