Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How Do I Find A New Doctor

Hello all, I have had chronic back pain since 2003. I have had a laminectomy / discectomy twice and an evntul neurostimulator implant all prior to 2005. I currently see a doctor monthly and am on pain management medication. I lost a good paying job in 2006 due to corporate restructering, currently I work full time not utilizing my college degree and have no health insurance. over 2 years ago My doctor referred me to an orthopedic surgeon who ordered a mylogram. Results showed minor imipinngement at L5 S1, nothing surgical intervention once again would help. Another neurosurgeon interpreted the results as nerve damage and further surgery would be too risky with uncertain results. My pain has become much worse over the course of the last year.

I often feel so run down and in pain that I Wonder if the problem really is stemming frommy back. My doctor is convinced it is. I'm not so sure anymore. I am misserable, my personal relationships are suffering. I feel as thoug my doctor is missing something.

I would like to get another opinion from another doctor however I can't find one accepting new patients or a doctor who will accept a patient currently on pain medication prescribbed by another doctor. The surgeon who performed my original surgery relocated his practice. How do I proceed? Where do I go? I am desparate to find an answer to why I feel the way I do. I need to explore other options to resolve this problem, enough is enough. I can't take much more.

Thank you for any help someone can pass my way.

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    It may be helpful to go back to your doctor who said that further surgery would be "too risky". It's important to ask about the risks. There may be lifestyle change you can make to lower risks.

I used to have a neighbor with a shoulder tear. She was ballistic that the doctor would not operate on her since she had seen so many other people get relief from shoulder surgery. (I was the neighbor taking her to all these appointments.) My neighbor was in very poor health, over 80 years old, a 2-3 pack a day smoker, very overweight, and non-compliant with medications.

While she could do little about her age she would have felt better if she cut down on her smoking, ate less than 3 lbs of bacon a week, took her medications a directed. Oh and she would fight with me about these things like I was a demon!

In the meantime I'm not athlete but it all made sense to me with my own pain. There were many things out of my control but many things I could do to help myself too. Almost 6 months ago I quit smoking. I've been going to PT 2X a week and making sure the therapist keeps me on track when I goof off! I know that a chocolate bar with almonds I need to burn off 220 calories before I even go out and buy that bar.

But these are all suggestions about taking back the control of your pain. Knowing there is something you can do for yourself will help immensely. Ask your pain docs about another recommendation.
    Best of Luck!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)