Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Conservative hernia treatment not working, now what?

PBerriosPPBerrios Posts: 8
edited 04/14/2015 - 9:29 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hello fellows in pain!

I'm 34 and have been struggling with pain in lower back and leg, due to a herniated disc for a while, and it has brought my life to a halt.

2 months of ignoring the initial complaints led the lower back pain to spread into the leg and down to the ankle. An MRI confirmed an herniated disc. Almost 3 months of conservative treatment have passed:

The first 2 months were refraining from sitting, standing or walking too long, hot water bottle and very light stretching exercises, with no noticeable progress. Pain was under control when lying on my back.

Then I tried the "4xT" method (test, tape, trigger, train) which diminished pain an improved mobility in the first session. But shortly after -not sure if due to this treatment or a violent sneeze- pain got worse and constant, and the treatment stopped being effective to control it. Lying on my stomach is now the least painful position to hold.

Tramadol wasn't enough to aliviate the pain and sleeping became impossible. I got an epidural injection, which in theory was going to aliviate the pain after 10 days. In the meantime, I started with Oxycodon to cope.

It has been 15 days and the results are mixed: pain is less but still constant no matter posture, and cannot sleep more than 3 hours in a row; the "electrical" pain down the leg became this pulsating, amorphous constriction feeling in back, thigh and buttocks (different spots than before)

Mobility has improved though, so I restarted with physio, based on the exercises commonly recommended and massage. But walking and exercising make the pain increase. Overall, I'm worst than at the beginning of the treatment, 3 months ago.

So, I'm out of ideas. I'm "doing my homework" but it doesn't seem to respond well. The neurologist so far seems to be ok with "just wait and see how it goes", but I'm losing confidence it's going to improve at all. I really don't want to undergo surgery, given the risks, but I think it's going to happen anyways, so I also think "why wait?".

Can somebody with a similar process share with me their experience? I'd really appreciate some leads on what to expect, I feel in the dark.

Thanks in advance!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hey buddy I can share my own experience of having surgery for a herniated l5 s1 disc. To make a very long story short I tried all types of conservative treatment for nearly a year and in the end I still had to have this surgery. I need to admit that during this time there were periods when I felt better but also I was doing very stupid things like continued to go to the gym and do all kinds of stupid things :) Also 5 months before the op I got a job in a furniture shop where lifting heavy stuff was my duty :)). Needless to say what the outcome of that was.
    So I guess that the important thing is to combine your conventional treatment with having some respect for your back which I didn't had. I wish you good luck!
  • Hey Daniel, thanks for your reply. Do you think you would have recovered without surgery, if you had kept clear from straining your back? How long was your recovery after surgery?

• I don't think I could have done it without surgery. I could literally not walk anymore and also couldn't sleep more than 2 hours a night under heavy sedation. I was risking to get permanent nerve damage and not be able to walk properly anymore.
    My recovery is still in the early phase I'm only 7 weeks post op. Look up my post it's called my journey. It's sort of my recovery diary :)).
    Anyways I think you should have a proper chat with your NS and design a battle plan. Don't just leave it to to gods hopping it will get better :) Take care
  • I read your posts, you are quite the optimistic! I completely agree that mood influenced the experience of pain: freaking out and breathing rapidly vs calm and breathing slow, what a difference. And being able to focus on nice things outside also help get along the restrictions in your own body. I'm sorry to read the pain is still an issue for you.

Can I ask, how did you get the hernia in the first place?
  • Oh my herniaaaa :). From this point of view I might be the biggest idiot on this website lol.
    I got my first symptoms nearly 3 years ago from I believe a fall from a scaffold on a construction site in Ireland. After a year I started to get some strange feeling in my left glute so went straight for RMN. This is how I found out I have a very small bulge l5s1.
    Since then I built a 4mx4m wooden shed all on my own. I started going to the gym where I was doing all sorts of stupid things and the cherry on top was a job I got in sept last year in a furniture shop where I was dealing with huge weights. Looking back I wish I had done things differently in the 2 years I practically made fun of my back. But that's life :) stupidity and ignorance will always hurt you.
    That being said today I saw my NS for my first follow up after the op. I will post on my thread how it went. Take care buddy
  • ive been stupid too. doing tons of stupid things in the gym. btw nice bullmastiff dan, i have a great pyrenees mountain dg
  • Thanks. I also have a beautiful German Shepheard. I used to lift them off the ground at the same time and hug them. Stupid thing to do with a herniated back :) Now I just scratch them behind the ears and they both give me bad looks thinking I don't love them anymore hahah