Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible DVT

So I am 3 wks and 3 days post op from a L2- L3 fusion. Last night had some calf pain on right leg and assumed it was from therapy. Well today it hurt worse, real bad during evening walk. I started to worry about it being a blood clot and called my pcp since surgeon left for day and is an hour a way. My primary sent me to hospital lab for a Stat blood test, then 20 min after I left he called and said it was positive and elevated. Instructed me to call surgeons exchange and tell him as I needed blood thinners asap, wwhich all of us fusion patients know is a huge no no. Surgeon sent me straight to er for ultrasound of calf that hurts, spent 4 hrs there and hospital couldn't get anyone after hrs to come to do the test. So they gave me a shot of Lovenox via abdomen and sent me home until morning. They are treating it as a blood clot since it most likely is. It's gonna be a long night not knowing the extent of it and risking fusion with blood thinners. Has anyone else suffered clots and how was it treated? Was your fusion compromised due to it? I have terrible anxiety and keep thinking that any second it's gonna break free and cause a pulmonary embolism or stroke. I am a hot mess right now.

• Hope you were able to get some answers today !
  • nutmegxoxoxonnutmegxoxoxo Posts: 14
    edited 04/25/2015 - 4:00 PM
    So sorry to hear about what's going on. 11 years ago, I had a DVT -- my whole left leg. This was before my back pain. I was in the hospital for two weeks, they did a procedure to break up the clot, which worked, but then I got a blood born infection and was in the ICU for 3 days with a 104 fever! Everyone kept telling me how lucky I was I got there when I did. I don't know your circumstances, but I'm confident that you also got there in time. I was also so worried it would break off and go to my lungs, but it never did. 11 years later, and I take a baby aspirin a day to prevent clots. I wish you all the best!