Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hematoma post surgery

WillerusWWillerus Posts: 6
edited 04/15/2015 - 4:33 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all,
New member and first post.
Just underwent a laminectomy/ discectomy at the L4/5 on March 25 th. Things were going well for the first week. Started noticing some leg pain returning a little greater everyday but the back pain from the surgery was almost gone by day 7. Something happend on day 9 that brought a ton of pain to my lower back and leg. It was a Saturday so I had to wait until Monday to contact my doctor. The follow up two week appt was set for that Thursday but the pain was so bad I couldn't wait. They brought be in Tuesday morning. He felt it was just inflammation and ordered a steroid pack. I felt there was no way it could just be that and asked for another MRI. He agreed to it but asked that I wait a few days to let the steroid kick in. I scheduled the MRI for that Thursday ( last thursday ). He looked at the results first thing Friday morning and called me before he was going into surgery. It was a hematoma! Big one too. In 20 years of doing this he has never seen this happen. So he set an emergency surgery for this past Monday morning to clean it out. Now I'm on my 3rd day of the second surgery in tons of pain and can't sit up without my back crying at me. I'm very afraid that this will happen again. I have been searching this everywhere and indeed it is very uncommon. Just curious if there is anyone out there with this similar experience and if they have had the blood clot return a 2nd time? Thanks all

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,459
    Glad your doctor didn't fight you on that MRI...and you were able to find the cause of the pain.

I've never had spinal surgery...not a candidate ...but I would think if it was uncommon experience, try not to worry until something were to happen...and it may turn out better than ever.

The worry and tension doesn't help with the healing.
    Let us know how you're doing
    Good luck with your recovery
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hello
    Tomorrow will be two weeks post second surgery. I'm glad to say a lot of the pain in my back has gone down some. About 50%. But pain in my hip and leg are about as bad as before the first surgery. I'm really concerned about all of this still. Everything I read about epidural hematomas it not really reassuring as far as recovery. I still can't put my own socks on but at least I'm not in throbbing back pain all the time. My two week follow up is scheduled for Wednesday. I'm going to ask for another MRI to ensure I didn't get a hematoma from the second surgery as well and that's what is causing all of this leg and hip pain to continue. Will update my status as I get information. Please if someone has a similar story please share with me. I'm going out of my mind worrying about all of this.
  • WillerusWWillerus Posts: 6
    edited 05/10/2015 - 1:53 AM
    Well tomorrow marks the 1 month anniversary of my second surgery.
    I did receive another MRI at two and a half weeks. It shows that there is fluid build up and another hematoma. Fortunately it's not big enough to go after. Unfortunately it still has my nerve pinched with pain going down my right leg and hip. Doc says all of the fluid should subside on its own over time. When I ask how long it should take he says about a month. So we will see. Still taking norco and ibuprofen 800 and they seem to help a lot. Started PT last Monday. They said it's a good thing I was in shape prior to all of this because it will make recovery that much easier. So for now I'm praying that the doc is right and it will resolve by it self. Unfortunately im not optimistic. Seems like I'm suffering from Murphy's law here. Good news is the back pain is down to 25%of what it was the day after surgery and now I'm starting to strengthen the muscles a little bit with pt! My lower back starts to get tired around the 15 min mark and I need to sit. Still listed to the side 2.5 inches. Pt said that should go away as the right erector re attaches and gets stronger. I'm also doing exercises to help with the posture. Like leaning on the wall and letting my hips move toward the opposit side of the list. Anyway that's the update!! Thanks all
  • Gday

I would be interested how the haematoma appeared on your scans. I am 4 months post disc replacement and fusion at L4/L5 and L5/S1 respectively and the last 4 weeks I have been suffering severe pain in lower back/sacrum area. I had a CT scan last week ready for my surgeon appointment next week. The scan shows everything appears ok, except for what the radiographers report describes as a large amount of 'low density material' which shows over the right facet joint of L5/S1.

Interestingly my post op MRi showed a small haematoma in the same area which was not seen as an issue. The radiographer does make reference to the previous scan and similar but smaller 'low density material'. I am wondering whether this 'low density material' may be a larger haematoma.

Be interested to see if there are any similarities i your MRI report.

You said you're not optimistic, ....Murphy's law......but you sound very good and less frustrated!
    Hearing that your recovery will be easier due to being in good shape! .....That has to be reassuring

Very happy for your reduced pain! :) That kind of good news is something we love to share in!

Spine-Health Moderator

• Hmm not sure how to up load a photo of my MRI. I tried to put it as my profile picture but said it's too large. Also tried to copy and paste it into the body of this but won't let me! Sorry. Not. Sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Yeah I know I should celebrate the the small victories. Your right. But it's so difficult to except the fact that I'm still in a lot of pain after the surgeries when the surgeon reassured me its a very simple operation and shouldn't be any issues. I just wish I would have read more on here about the possibility of complications. I would have not done it if I knew I would have been worse off. On the bright side I am doing a little more physically as the days pass. I think I'm just dealing with the pain better and getting used to it. Still praying for a full recovery!!!!!
    Ps is there anywhere that I could change a setting so that if someone posts on my thread I get notifications?
    I think long time ago, such a thing...like notifying your email of posts added to your thread or anything you posted on.

But I actually prefer this system now.
    After logging on, you just go to the left side of the page and you'll find....view recent posts and below that ...view my posts.

That very easier to keep up to date on responses!
    Take care
    Spine-Health Moderator

• TenaciousgreenTTenaciousgreen Posts: 12
    edited 05/17/2015 - 3:10 AM
    Thanks Willerus for trying, dont necessarily need to see the scan just interested how the radiographer referred to the haematoma on the scan. I am just puzzled to what my 'Low density Material' actually is.
  • WillerusWWillerus Posts: 6
    edited 06/19/2015 - 9:44 AM
    Well I'm very slowly making some progress I think. Mobility continues to increase but unfortunately I'm still in a lot of pain. More so than before surgery. Doc said nerve damage can take up to a year to heal. Disturbing to say the least. Still doing physical therapy 3 days a week. Fortunately the narcotic and 400 ibuprofen seem to dull the pain enough to work and do other nessasary things. Never in a million years did I think I would still be this way after the surgery. But I'm dealing with it the best I can. The hardest thing is staying positive!! It's a constant mental battle as well as physical. Will check back in at the next check up! Best of luck to everyone out there going through this. It's not for the faint of heart!
    God bless
  • Hey again
    So at my 3 month check up I had my doc order an MRI because I'm still in a lot of pain and I know something isn't right. This is my 4th MRI since my injury. Prior to surgery I had a normal l4-5 disk. Hydrated and thick. I have been watching the disc deteriorate through the imaging over the past 3.5 months to where there is almost nothing left! How can this be? So fast? And also there is inflammation showing around the l4 bone itself. He said that is what is causing the back pain most likely. Then he prescribed a medrol pack which makes things worse I believe. Ibuprofen does a better job imo. When asked about the degeneration he kind of skirted the question. I'm setting second opinion appointments just for piece of mind. Unfortunately the docs that come highly recommend are over a month and a half out to get in. I feel like it goes from bad to worse! Now I'm looking into getting into Rush or northwestern here in Chicago where I'm from. Wish I would have started there! Anyway wishing the best for all of you out there! Take care!
  • KarabanillaKKarabanilla Posts: 4
    edited 09/21/2015 - 9:18 PM
    I had diskectomy last Aug 12,2015 L5-S1.After 2 days I couldn't walk already coz of excruciating lower back pain. No medicine worked so I wss confined again. I had an MRI and the doc said I have hamatoma so he wanted to have a surgery again to clean and drain the surgical site. Didn't want to have a surgery .I was given cataflam 50 mg and I take it 3 x a day with muscle relaxant med 2x a day and pregabalin 75 mg 2x a day. After almost 1 month of taking the meds I had a blood test the other day and the result of the liver bloodtest sgot and sgpt are really high. I'm scared that my liver will suffer if I continue to take the pain meds but I can't survive w out it .until now I can't leave the house coz the pain is really bad even if i take the pain med. Its like im bed redt for 1 1/2 months already and I'm scared to have a surgery again to remove the hematoma coz what if after the surgery there will be hematoma again. I hope someone could shed a light on what to do. Thanks

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • meinlmmeinl WarrentonPosts: 10
    I had L5-S1 Microdiscectomy in May 2016. First 2 weeks were super easy. Since then it has been one pain riddled day after another. Tolerable but  sick of it. Just wanted to know everyone's or anyone's results with having a hematoma? I have had it for just over 2 weeks and doc says it could dissolve in as much as 12. 

I I had pain down my left leg  and through the butt to the middle of my lower back and now it's just centered on my lower back at the waistline. MRI confirmed hematoma so just looking for results from anyone?
  • Meinl:

I am suffering what sounds to be something very similar to what you described. I have had 4 major lumbar spine surgery, since 2010 with no serious complications until the last, about 4 weeks ago. It was to remove a synovial cyst from the nerve roots at L4 and a L5 /S1 decompression. Post op I have was nauseous and felt gut pain on the left side of my abdomen, not too out of the ordinary, but more pain and nausea than any of the prior surgeries. My male parts were also almost all very black and blue, so bleeding was obviously occurring or had occurred somewhere during surgery. I felt at about 2 weeks post op something was definitely wrong. My doctor was out of the county and was advised by his office to go to our local ER, which I did. An MRI and CAT scan were done, and it was determined I had a large hematoma on the front side of my spine that filled the space between the spine and abdomen.  

The internist on duty said this was a spine doctor problem. When the doctor returned he said this was an internist problem and extremely rare. I have constant pain from the left side of the butt extending down my leg to the knee, extreme left leg weakness and extreme lower back pain. This was about 2 weeks ago and no one seems to know what to do. The internist refuse to even discuss it with me, not wanting to get involved. I am in misery and on more pain medication than I have ever taken and not getting any better. Has anyone else ever heard of or experienced anything like this and can anyone offer any advise? Do these large hematoma's in this area usually just go away in time? How long can it take? I am afraid of permanent nerve damage is something is not done soon. Thanks!
  • superarms1ssuperarms1 CaliforniaPosts: 1
    I had a discectomy of the L4-S1 3 weeks ago from a very good surgeon. Im also a Healthcare provider (paramedic/firefighter ) in Los Angeles....for 17 years. Im 39 years old and in good shape....however the wear and tear took its toll and i had those dics compressing the sciatic nerve. So anyways after the surgery I felt great, just had acute pain from the surgery, which was more of just soreness. They told me after taking the norco 10/325 to take ibuprofen  (advil) then i showed up to my two week post op check up, the incision looks awesome,  but have a big bulge on top of the incision. So they want to see me in a week which will be this Wednesday, they also said to stop the advil people Ibuprofen can thin the blood., so i was given more norco and a predisone pack. It has not helped yet. Pain has again has started to go down my left buttock to my hamstring. But this pain was achy and very tender. So i could not walk on it at all, before the surgery the left leg pain was dull and achy but had my strength. ...but not anymore. So back to the bulge on top of my incision. Its perfectly round, it hurts, im thinking hematoma or cyst based on its circular look and feel. They did order a mri with contrast , which im waiting to get still. But again i believe they are being on top of it. I see the dr this coming Wednesday. Im also thinking the advil didn't help with this situation. I will keep you ladies and gentlemen updated. Thank you for your time . Im Steve btw.