Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Magical poke of hope: anyone else has experienced this?

Hello peeps!

I have a herniated disc since about 5 months, and since a couple of weeks now the pain in lower back and leg has been constant and strong enough to prevent normal sleep, and limit my walking to +-10 minutes at 0,000000001 km/h.

But yesterday, during a flare up of the pain after a walk, I started massaging my spine, until I came across a spot near the sacrum that, when poked, "deactivated" the pain in the leg. Release the poke, pain came back.
I kept the pressure for about 5 minutes and it relieved the pain for about 3 hours, until I changed position and it came back.

I tried the poke again before sleeping, but I still woke up after a couple of hours, this time from pain in the lower back, not the leg. The pain wasn't the "normal" electric shock, but as if I had been holding a wrong position for long (I wasn't). It was very intense, and felt like I couldn't "move my ass" to get out of bed, although sensitivity in the leg was normal.

When I managed to stand up, the sensation improved until the pain started shooting down the leg again. Holding pressure in the same spot helped control it though. I went for a walk and was able to double the distance with this technique. Pain comes and goes (which is an improvement from "constant").

Has anybody experienced something similar? It's a relief, specially after 3 months physiotherapy and an epidural didn't seem to work. But I donnow if I can count on this as a long term solution.

• It sounds lime you are doing some self physical therapy. I also have a method that can almost completely relieve my pain. But it always comes back. I told my Dr that I could be med free if I could stay in bed all day and not move!

You can show that spot to your physio and maybe they can make it a more permanent thing.
  • I suggest not to show it to your pt as they will ruin the magic for you :)) Joke aside I have not experienced such a thing and believe me i touched all the spots in my back and leg when i was hurting bad two months ago. I am glad you get relief from that. Daniel
  • Hahaha the magic is ruined indeed! After a great day of *almost* returning to normal life, it was time for my stretching routine... on my belly, push up the torso without rising the hips and... OUCH, pain rushes back in, even more intense. No amount of poking works this time.

Remember that scene in the Matrix Revolutions when they fly over the clouds and see the sun for a couple of seconds, before falling back down into the apocaliptic scorched land? That.
  • Ah for god sake Berrios be careful with these akward stretches and try keep things simple. Good luck on finding another magic spot now :)
    Im kidding man I hope you feel better now. At least you have the sense of humours, thats an important thing.