Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post acdf pain medication help

I need help figuring this out. I was sent home 24 hours after one level ACDF with 45 percocets and 30 vistarils which are kind of like an antianxiety. I would like to keep taking my pain meds every 4-6 hours 2 tablets but I will run out on the weekend. My gut says the surgeon group won't be happy to refill. I called them twice post op and they have my on ibuprophen additionally.

Should I wing it or try and get another prescription tomorrow? I will be 1 week post op on Monday. My pain is neck and throat area.

• You haven't prepared for the surgery properly. Most people on this board have a surgeon for the surgery and a pain management doctor separate from the surgeon who controls the opiates.

Ask your surgeon for a referral to a pain management doctor and do so as soon as possible. It can take one or two weeks to get an appointment.
  • I can't believe they are leaving you hanging like that. Maybe regulations are different in your state, but I have no problem getting all the meds I need from my neurosurgeon. On the contrary, I want to take less and he prescribes more narcotics to keep me comfortable. Guess I should thank my lucky stars. Wish you had the same. Considering what you just had done I would think that Ibuprofen doesn't even begin to touch it. However, I would be persistent. And like Wolfpack says, ask for a referral. There is no need to suffer. Hang in there.
  • After my ACDF, I walked out of the hospital with a prescription for oxy. I used it for about a week and got very constipated. I hate that stuff. NSAIDs were a no! I ended up taking Tylenol. That did not work very well and was slightly better than nothing. Mostly I just lived with the pain since the constipation was worse than the pain from my surgery. By the time I got to through my second week, the pain was tolerable. I know everyone is different, but that is how it was for me. Today, I take a standard dose of Aleve. That seems to work. I have tired not taking it, but that does not work either. However, you have to wait for the green light from your doctor prior to taking any NSAIDs. For the doctor take xrays every visit to measure how well things fused. They placed markers in my neck and you could see the changes in the pictures. Things have fused well so I am now able to take NSAIDs.
  • I think this is going to be a journey. I did get more percocet but I think I need a muscle relaxer of some sort. I did seepain mmanagement in our community months ago and they prescribed lyrics. Overall I want to avoid PM. It makes me feel degraded. They don't answer phone calls or treatcme with respect.