Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming ACDF

And I am really nervous about how it's going to feel afterwards.
ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
...and it was the best decision of my life :-)

• Me too, especially the sore throat. My surgery is next Tuesday and I had to go in today for all of the pre-anesthesia lab work. I know it will be great once I've healed, but I am dreading the couple weeks father surgery.
    Denise, I will keep you in my prayers. You go in Thursday right?
  • Yes Thursday morning. I went last Thursday for all my pre op stuff (chest x Ray, ekg, mrsa swab and blood work) and I was fitted for my neck brace. It really hit me that this is it. And now that it's Monday.. ugh.

I got frozen fruit, wheat germ, yogurt and powder peanut butter for my smoothies (thanks for the idea) and I also got some button down gowns for easier wear with the neck brace.

I was going to stay overnight but I decided not to. I was scared to come home just a few hours later (and still am) but I really don't want an IV plus wearing neck brace and trying to get comfortable, use the bathroom, etc. With all this going on.

My neck has been a huge jerk lately but wouldn't you know today I haven't had to take pain meds at all? I haven't had a day like this in idk how long. Usually I'd be thankful but now I'm like ugh, is this a sign? I have to remember that I've had good days but the bad always outweighs the good.

This is it. We can do it!!
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • ReadyforchangeRReadyforchange Posts: 90
    edited 04/20/2015 - 5:32 PM
    I would spend the night. I wish I would have stayed two nights. Pain control was difficult the first 3-4 days. I called my surgeons office twice and was told to take advil??? Im doing ok now. Both of you will do just fine. Drink the smoothies, take the pills, go for short walks. Sleep in a recliner. Use bendy straws. God bless you both!
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    edited 04/21/2015 - 1:37 AM
    If your doctor is recommending that you stay overnight & your insurance permits it, I would definitely stay overnight. I think just for safety reasons. Plus, if you are at home, it would tend to make you want to be up & doing things when you should be resting.
    Good luck with your surgery.
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 04/21/2015 - 5:06 AM
    I am having it done at a surgery center and I told my surgeon I wanted to stay overnight, he said not a problem. The nurse calls me yesterday acting all dumbfounded because it's an outpatient surgery center and that she'd "have to see if a few nurses could work that night to watch over me". Like WTF? Then she says it's OK after she made me feel like complete shit. Oh, and my mom was going to stay with me but she said no visitors after 7p and I *have* to be out by 7am. She was just a bitch about it but in a nice tone so I'm like thanks, no thanks I'll just go home. F* those people, seriously. My surgeon is awesome and I know he can't help the way those people are but those people are the ones I'll have to be dealing with afterwards. No thanks.

But yeah, I really wanted to stay overnight but not like this.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Denise, I would reconsider going home. As they reminded me at my pre-op appointment yesterday, all the good pain drugs are at the hospital and can be given intravenously so if you are in pain during the first 12 hours, let them know.myouncant do that at home.
    Also, same thing happens to me. I start to second guess if I really need the surgery after a low pain day where I need to pain meds.nthen the next day I am reminded why I need the surgery. I think that is pretty common.
    Hang in there, the light is at the end of our tunnel! I will be praying for you on your day of surgery.
  • Adela, I really do want to stay but it seems the place I'm having the surgery at is the issue :-(
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    Wow! That doesn't sound like a nice facility? I never knew they do those kind of surgeries an an out patient center? It sounds like those nurses need to get out of the health care profession! That makes me so angry because I'm in health care. Well, I was up until my injury 2 years ago. I was a nursing assistant. I took my job very serious & cared very much about the patient. I would run into many nurses like them. It's very sad.
  • DeniseO_oDDeniseO_o Posts: 115
    edited 04/21/2015 - 5:42 AM
    It's actually at a very nice Orthopedic Spine Surgery Center in the somewhat wealthy side of town. I'm not wealthy, I just happen to have a Dr who is LOL. I do not know why my Surgeon operates out of there vs the hospital. Maybe because I am young, healthy and I guess deemed "low risk"?

Yeah, I could stay but she made me very uncomfortable. The entire facility staff included could be the best place ever but her attitude ruined it for me.
    ACDF C6/C7 on 05/20/15