Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint vs labrum tear

I am looking for some insight on if SI Joint pain and labrum tears could be related. I have been treating SI Joint pain via PT for three months now without much relief. Recently, upon describing additional pain/discomfort in my hip/groin area, my PT said it could be a labrum tear, but that they are two separate issues. He's sending me back to my Primary to get an MRI in hopes to confirm the labrum tear. Wondering if, God forbid, I have to get the surgery, if it could possibly fix my SI joint pain or if I need to address the two problems separately.

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,803
    did not have SI pain from torn hip labrum. My biggest indicator was I would get severe pressure then it would pop and total relief short term. Have to have MRI with contrast to see it , very , very easy surgury for me. Running in 4 days
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • MonetaMMoneta Posts: 2
    edited 04/22/2015 - 8:15 PM
    back pain brought on by exercise move, MRI showed disc protrusion at L3-4 & L4-5 with r. L4 nerve root mildly compressed and other bulges & hypertrophy around L4 & 5, but nothing that I took as serious. After months of therapy & no relief, had MRI of r hip which revealed a small labral tear. Was told I could "take a chance with arthroscopic hip repair in case it helps the pain". It has been a 16 months of pain in hip, down quad, and very often in the r. ilium as well as being deprived from activities I thrive on. There are no doctors in my area that perform this repair. Would love to hear who itsautonomic's surgeon was as I've been led to believe this is quite a drastic procedure. So, I am hoping L. repair would relieve SI pain.

Forum rules prohibit recommendations of medical professionals and facilities

Liz .........Spine-health moderator
    not at all , the procedure is relatively easy now for properly trained surgeons. The issues in past was that this issue is one that was only discovered fully recently . For years surgeons did not do this or only the good ones. For me , small tear, was ridiculously easy surgury. My surgeon was in houston, TX . When i did it the surgeon said I was lucky i choose him cause at the time he was one of the only ones doing it. This also led to years of suffering with wrong diagnosis from another doctor before surgury, he just was not familiar with it and said it was bursitis
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Sorry to hear you have been doing Pt for that long with no relief.
    I just started PT for Si joint but he said not sure that is the problem.
    Will they see that tear in an MRI for sure? I had some x-rays of my
    pelvic area/hip and an MRI of my lower back showed no issues with
    the SI joint but they did some physical tests and an injection both
    of which showed it to be SI. I have not even heard of that other area.
    I hope they get to the bottom of what is causing you this pain it
    takes its toll.
    Please post and let us know what you find out
    Best wishes Sherri
  • It is encouraging to hear about labral repair being so helpful. Evidently it is still new to Montana, so will have to travel to Washington or Portland. Thank you for your input.

For me it was so very easy and such an immediate change from dragging leg to running in 4 days. It depends on surgeon and many other factors for each ind success. Never do it with dr without much exp with it.
  • I was actually in the same situation where I thought I had an overlap of a hip labral tear and si joint dysfunction because of burning pain in my hips, groin and low back. I didn't receive an MRI to confirm whether I had a hip labral tear, but my orthopedic surgeon was reluctant to perform surgery on my hips because they felt "really good" when he would move my hips/legs around in certain positions. About 10 doctors later, I found an orthopedic surgeon who specializes solely in regenerative medicine (prolotherapy/PRP) and she told me that a tear/sprain in the iliolumbar ligaments/si joint can refer pain down in to the groin/hips. I had my iliolumbar/si joint pains shot with PRP and a lot of the pain's gone away for me. Ask your doctor to check out your iliolumbar ligaments if he/she hasn't yet!