Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Dealing with depression/being housebound

I've always had major depression and ocd, but going out was still something I looked forward to and usually made me feel at least a bit better, even a midnight trip to the Walmart. But now these trips are few and far between because of the pain ever increasing and I didn't know if anyone else had advice or just wanted to share similar situations? I'm sorry if this is a repeat thread

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,836
    one time or another during recovery, or even dealing with flareups.

I am sure you have heard about watching tv, reading books, etc. Sure they can past the time away. But what I have found to be the best is to find some type of challenging project. Could be anything that does not require too much physical activity. Instead, it would require a lot of mental activity.

For me, one time it was to take a desktop computer completely apart, down to removing the CPU and motherboard and then putting everything back together again.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • When feeling down, u must deflect. Deflection is key. Do whatever you need to do to break the cycle. There has to be something you enjoy doing outside. Even if it is something simple such as sitting on a patio enjoying the weather. You must live, even if you are in pain. So please deflect when feeling down. Just do it. Mind over matter is the answer. Even going for short walks releases endorphins creating a sense of well being and happiness.

Wishing you the best and sending healing vibes as usual...

Doug Hell
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ....struggle with depression and ocd......hopefully you are under doctors' care for that.
    Sometimes with the pain meds and living with the pain.....any anti depressant medication may need to be tweaked or changed.
    There are some meds out there that claim to help with depression and the pain.

Hopefully, all your doctors are aware of all of your conditions. I've always had psychiatrist as part of my team.
    There's also something to be said about a support system. We can be that...but it's nice to have people in and out of your life.

My experience with my depression....I know my first reaction is to withdraw....and of course that the opposite of what I should do. I have few good people in my life who do their best to understand my life.

I used to try to only see people, even them, on my good days. Finally, I decided to open my life more...to my more ugly moments......as I tend to think of them.

It's amazing how accepting people can be. And how helpfu if they only knew what to do. Sometimes we need to know what we need and be able to ask.

Sometimes, I reach out...not to talk about myself, even if they can hear in my voice it's not a good day.....but to hear what's up in their lives.....the mundane or funny stories. It helps to feel and stay connected. I've asked for pictures of the kids..little scrapbook or organize on computer. And you can't help but smile when seeing their little faces.
    My favorite was when I specifically asked for a picture after little one fed himself. Spaghetti all over....it was great!

I used to only work. I loved it! I had no hobbies...so very difficult for me with this new forced lifestyle . But now my hobbies and my work is taking care of myself. Sometimes thinking of myself as someone else who needs care and understanding..as I can become lazy if doing anything just for me. Not a healthy mindset.

Be kind to yourself...take an interest in others....pay attention to what might bring a smile across your face and delve into it!
    That helped me and I hope ideas benefit to you, too!
    Keep in touch!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• The only places I currently go is to the Doctor's but when I get up for the
    10 or so minutes I do things like dust, iron, wash off things, walk outside
    (so grateful for the warm days) things that do not create pain but at least
    make me feel like I am doing something. I also have a dear friend that
    sends me pictures and so many things to get my mind off this pain.
    Then my son came up with a great idea for me to organize all my family
    pictures in folders with titles and even music. So in the future we can
    have the family over and show all the pictures we have. I love it and
    last night I started did not get much done but it really did lower the pain
    a little.
    Also there are tons of music on You-Tube if you like that to listen to and
    calm your nerves down.
    Just some thoughts it is hard I know and it takes focus but to lay or sit
    and just let your brain suck up the pain is a huge mistake.
    Trying to help and I hope you find relief.
  • Dunaway03DDunaway03 Posts: 7
    edited 04/23/2015 - 5:41 PM
    I really can't thank everyone enough for all the responses - getting suggestions and encouragement is so fantastic to me! I have honestly let the depression consume me lately, right around when the pain became 24/7. This is something is have done before and totally my fault - it speaks to laziness I suppose because I find that place comfortable. I will be going back to my general dr next week to talk about this and see about some different/stronger medicine.
    It's hard to explain - I've always been an artist, but some years ago it became so hard to focus on working on anything, not even being able to finish a book or become obsessed with a movie I dug up out of nowhere - I always thought it was a side effect of my mental state. I long ago lost interest in most things. In the last few years before the physical stuff all started I delved totally into makeup artistry however, doing jobs for brides and dances a lot. I'm sorry I know that was rambling but I mostly just explained so it would make sense when I say - if I could get my inspiration back for visual art my life would be a million times better. I know it sounds so stupid to read and think about, and I know so much of it is my fault. Everything just seems like too much of an effort, I'll sometimes have a funny joke or story in my head for a week or more and just won't have the "energy" to tell my husband. I don't know what's going on with me.
    I really can't thank everyone enough for taking the time to write. Sherri, Savage, Doug and Ron - I've read each reply several times and thank yall again. Bless everyone and I hope each day taken at a time is a good one ❤️