Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rescheduled!! Has this happened to you?

saltzworksssaltzworks Posts: 1,031
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Oh my Gosh!

I've seen once on here when a surgery was rescheduled, but I just did not think about it happening to me.

I was all set for surgery tomorrow (the 9th) and this morning I got a call: the Dr. has a emergency and I needed to be rescheduled.

He can't fit me in until the 21st now. The 21st! It seems like forever. I know it's not, but this feels like a physical blow as much as a mental one right now.

It's like stopping a freight train. Honestly, all the forms, the prep at home, the flex people that were called into work to replace me, the mental prep, my parents driving in from Texas to help, the vacation plans my siblings were arranging for when I had time off (now I'll be in the hospital for their visits),the EVERYTHING. I even had all the pre-op labs done. Now it's got to done all over again.

How many of you have had this happen? Is this common? What's up with Dr.'s and us being completely at their mercy? I mean, I feel so helpless. My insurance even has to foot the bill for 2 sets of labs.

I am okay, I think. I'm grateful for the extra time, I was fast running out of hours in the day to do some of the things I needed to finish. I just wish I hadn't overdone it so thoroughly this last week (like sitting on bleachers, like vacuuming and hanging photos and all the stuff I usually don't do so that I won't hurt), I've been hurting so bad that I was almost looking forward to surgery.

• I totally understand. At least you have a date. Enjoy the extra time to get even more organized.

• I just read your story - I bet you know how I feel, and more, so much more!
  • I was in surgical preop and the insurance had not been switched from WC to personal coverage so I was sent home...

It happens... doc was not mad and he cut me 3 days later no biggie... actually gave me a chance to get some chores around the house done....

• I feel so sorry for you. I can imagine all the preparations you've done to prepare yourself physically and emotionally. I have had several appts rescheduled because the surgeon was doing - surgery. Just another hurdle. Move forward and start the preps for your next scheduled surgery. Good luck.
  • I am so sorry you have been put off on your surgery. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and just as it should. I can totally appreciate the frustration too though. Just use the extra time to get yourself even more ready.

hang in there!
  • Hey Saltz,

Sorry to hear about your delay. That was my biggest fear. Be glad there is a date in place.

Oh and as for stopping a freight train. It is easier to stop the train I have been a locomotive engineer for 15 years. There is definately more planning and anxiety in getting the surgery, home and family ready for S DAY. Hang in there!! :)
  • Contrary to popular belief, most delays are for valid reasons, either something more urgent takes precendent (there are back cases that if not done immediately lead to paralysis, that jumps ahead of severe pain back). Trust me, delays are not "oh, I got a great tee time". Also - docs are not superhuman. I think my surgeon is going through his own health issues right now, so I am trying to cut him a break. My surgeon does 5 fusions per day - would you really want to be at the end of the day when he's tired & fatigued, maybe not as clear headed, so you can "get done" that date?
  • my surgeon also did my hubby's 3 back surgeries a little over 10 years ago...anyway , I remember sitting in the waiting room , his surgery was done and I was waiting for the call to see what room he was being put into and there was this family there raising cane and another family that was crying. Come to find out the family that was raising cane were mad because there son's surgery had been postponed and it was postponed because the 16 year old son of the family that was crying needed emergency surgery. He ended up dying in surgery. It is sad but we have to remember that sometimes there are things that take precedence over our surgeries.Use this extra time to continue to get organized but don't go over doing it....I wish you well my friend....take care....Miki
  • My surgery was delayed cause of a snow day LOL, Really my surgoen goes to Dayton every thursday and my surgery was scheduled for friday feb 22nd and thursday night into friday morning it snowed and he couldnt get back in time, but they did call me the night before, yes I was a little upset, I mean I was a basket case and put off surgery for almost a year I was terrified after I finally got my bearing about surgery and scheduled it then that happened? but I had surgery a week later and it was the best choice i ever made... My husband ended up having to take a few personal days cause he couldnt change his vacation days, but we all survived... and your labs will probally be fine, i know the blood I gave just in case I needed some was good for 21 days I think they said, call he hospital to see if your labs need to be redone?

• Yep, this ALMOST happened to me. When my surgery was first scheduled, it was like a month away. I didn't know how I could make it a month, and was counting down the days. Having a date in sight helped me to make it through day by day, and sometimes minute by minute. The Tuesday before my Friday surgery date, I received a phone call saying that the doctor had to reschedule. I never knew what came up, but I was so upset, mainly because it was taking everything I had just to get through each day and I didn't know if I could keep going on until they could fit me in a few weeks later.

Thankfully though, after I called work and told them the date had been changed, after I called all the people who were set up to help with my children, after I canceled with people who were helping me with meals...I received a phone call saying I was back on the schedule. I don't know what happened, but I was never so happy to hear that I was back on the schedule.

Saltz, maybe a cancellation will happen and they'll be able to get you in quicker. So sorry for the delays, but try to get a few meals cooked up and put in your freezer, do something fun, go get your hair cut, go shopping for new comfy jammies, etc. Take advantage of the extra time you have. Good luck.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!